Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Welcome to GoPinball » General Discussion

Post subject: Twitch streaming for multiplayer view
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:32 pm 

I'm trying to setup a twitch stream of my desktop using OBS studio. I think I just about have it working. In order for people to see the stream however, you will need a twitch account.

If you also want to share your screen when playing in a competition I will be typing up a guide once we successfully have this working with at least 2 people. Now I need a volunteer.

OBS Studio is the desktop capture software and it has a stream service connection to twitch built into it. You need to download and setup obs studio, which I can guide you through, as well as go to twitch.tv and create an account. I also downloaded the desktop application, but I'm not yet sure if its necessary. I would assume that for resource purposes it probably is a less resource hog using the application then using the web application, but if you're just viewing the stream then it wont matter. The only downside to this so far is I haven't found a "channel" so to speak where everyone can just be in the group and click a "share screen" button to switch over to another person in the group. There may be a better application for this purpose, as I'm sure something exists for this purpose with web conferences and whanot. I believe skype can do this as well, but the benefit to obs studio is that you can also use it to capture your playfield, backglass, and dmd screens for video capture if you want to make videos for a pinball front end because obs studio supports opengl.

I'm just going to confirm that I can share my desktop to my twitch account, but then I won't be available until later on, probably sometime between 8 and 9 PM EST. Let me know if anyone is available to test this out with me.

Post subject: Re: Twitch streaming for multiplayer view
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:45 pm 

So I've done some testing, and its totally possible to do this using obs studio and twitch. You don't even need to be a user/member to view the stream, but you would need to be in order to share your stream.

Another thought would be to create a GoPinball twitch account, and then everyone who is going to share their stream all use the same stream code, that way we wouldn't have to switch channels when it was someone elses turn.

The only issue I currently had was my fps took a huge drop when my video card was trying to play future pinball as well as capture the screen and send it out to twitch. I have an old machine, so maybe I can tweak some settings so it isn't as much of a resource hog.

Either way I now know the steps for setting up obs studio properly for future pinball capture on desktop

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:19 am 

Sounds cool.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:41 am 

It is pretty cool. When are you typically available george? Would you be my volunteer? Currently I only need someone to view the stream while i tweak some settings so I can play without lag and the stream is a clear as it can be. There is a few second delay between my screen and the stream which I think is normal.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:05 am 

I think for the purpose of multiplaying, Skype would be more than adequate. Just set up your phone or webcam in front of your TV or PinCab and anyone who's participating can do the same. Then multiple people can participate at once in the group, with little or no lag on your system.

We did this at Heighway Pinball when we were play testing our Alien game, we used Skype to show the game being tested to our US team in real time.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:43 am 

Discord? I know it's only a (very) advanced chat ;)

How to add your table or fill missing information : viewtopic.php?f=72&p=34257#p34257

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:27 pm 

MayoTheGreat wrote:
It is pretty cool. When are you typically available george? Would you be my volunteer? Currently I only need someone to view the stream while i tweak some settings so I can play without lag and the stream is a clear as it can be. There is a few second delay between my screen and the stream which I think is normal.

I suppose I can help. Does it cost anything?

George

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:12 pm 

No its free.

Nalex - isn't discord text chat only? We're trying to figure out the best solution for everyone who is part of the tournament to share their screen so anyone else in the tourney could then watch the play

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:17 pm 

OK. Let me know when you need me to do something. I noticed you live in Massachusetts and I in Arkansas so I think your time is an hour later than were I live.

George

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:02 pm 

For now, I just need someone to view the stream and make sure its coming thru full screen and has smooth gameplay. You don't need an account for this. Just go to www.twitch.tv, and search for mayo_the_great. Click on channels, and click on mayo_the_great. If I'm not actively streaming you will only see a black video screen.

I'll be on my computer for a couple more hours working and can take a break whenever to test this out. I have been able to stream and play successfully without lag on my machine. The other cool features of twitch over skype is you can put overlays on your stream and if you have an account and are part of it you can chat with anyone in your channel, or if you have a webcam you can even see the current player playing. I personally wouldn't use those features, I just think once we have a dedicated channel setup and every user has an account this will be an easier setup than skype, but we can try both and go from there.

SLAM, can you provide insight into the setup required for getting us all in a skype room/channel?

Board index » Welcome to GoPinball » General Discussion