Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: JungleGirl (WIP)
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:23 pm 

Looks amazing blue !
I say release it now !

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:36 pm 

See if I can fix that target issue and slight coding bug first. :)

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: fpxEngine

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:13 pm 

It looks beautiful! I would suggest you send it to Bob and I to test it while you are gone and then release it.

George

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:44 pm 

I've played this game about 1000 times already. It plays exactly the way I like my games, just the latest changes like new BAM code has thrown off the game a bit.Easy to fix though, do it tonight. You do get tired after a while and miss things.

I think the best way is to release a beta at PN (who are back btw and could do with a little help) get all the comments about how vpx is so much better out of the way, and give the rest a nice little game. Everyone can play around with it themselves then, I will be sunning myself in Mexico in the mean while. :)

Once I am back, by then someone will have some suggestions or better ideas, then I will do a bug fix, version 1 and maybe throw a few extras in it as well. Thanks for the offers, just unfair to restrict access, and you never know, with more people, the more likely the game will be better because of it.

Besides, just want to get the F******G thing out. :)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:00 pm 

Actually George, I know why a curved wall works better. I ended up having to do that myself, because of something with animated objects in fp. Try and make this short and sweet.

I tried this new code with BAM, and it just didn't work. I was actually quite anoyed and had to move it, though now I know it would have worked. Still despite everything, the ball kept hitting the targets and bouncing off them way to fast, even using a wall in front of them, and it was driving me nuts. Then, one game, I noticed something. When I hit the wall in front of my 6 bank of targets, the target moved with a hit even though it shouldn't.

My wall was a full 1 mm in front, yet it appears that the target collision was still happening. So I wrote some debug code, and went to see what happens. Sure enough, even moving the targets a bit more out, the targets are still registering a hit with a ball over 1500 speed, though it's erratic sometimes. I have a couple theorys here based on taking videos and looking at them in slow motion.

1. FP is crippleware crap (The most likely one)
2. Your curved walls work better because it appears the center portion of the targets may have the wrong collision shape attached to it.
3. The ball at higher speeds is actually sinking into the unrendered walls. I've had this problem a few times myself with JG, where the ball just ignores a wall and gets stuck. The physics of the wall are being ignored or overwritten when the ball instead passes through the wall and uses the target collision instead.
4. The target property may have the exact same bug that bumpers have, in other words there may be a randomizer on the amount of bounce, but set to +- 50% instead of 5%. Makes sense as the ball can bounce at totally random speeds.

I had to do a couple new things with them, but actually the effect is a bit nicer and doesn't seem to screw up as much. Hate having to use up more objects, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Frustrating sometimes that we have to go through so much stuff just to get basic working things that should have been working right since day 1. Next time, I'm just using pegs that look like targets.

Actually, those damn gates are acting up again, so I'm wondering if someone could create a set of gate objects as something else and the code to "open" and "close" them. I'm just going to remove my gates that are still there and replace them with walls and a image, and never use those damn gates ever again.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:02 pm 

How about

Code:
 Sub JGWall_hit
xBAM.BallSpeedLimit = 1200
End Sub

or just lowering the max ballspeed globally
xBAM.BallSpeedLimit = 3000 or whatever.
This may prevent the ball from going through to the target....

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:07 pm 

Just a screenshot of my partial solution. You guys can play with the timers when the game is out, but I added a restraining wall that pops up when a target wall is hit with the interval based on the speed of the ball. If the ball is too fast, the wall stops it. The restraining wall is a squiggly line so it prevents the ball going straight up on a target hit.

The wall behind the targets are shaped to try and prevent double target hits. Sometimes the restraining wall causes the ball to hit more targets, (about 1 every 8-10 times) so maybe one of you math wizards can work out a formula that is more dynamic than my basic example.

Here's the code. Does seem to work better at least.
Code:
' I have a theory....
Sub DTJ_Hit():AddDebugText "DTJ_Hit()":END SUB
Sub DTU_Hit():AddDebugText "DTU_Hit()":END SUB
Sub DTN_Hit():AddDebugText "DTN_Hit()":END SUB
Sub DTG_Hit():AddDebugText "DTG_Hit()":END SUB
Sub DTL_Hit():AddDebugText "DTL_Hit()":END SUB
Sub DTE_Hit():AddDebugText "DTE_Hit()":END SUB

Sub xTargetRestrain()
   If xBAM.Ball.Speed > 2500 then
      AddDebugText "xTragetRestrain() - xBAM.Ball.Speed > 2500"
      TargWallRestrain.Collidable=TRUE:TimerTargWall.Set True,15
      Targ4Wall.Collidable=TRUE:TimerTarg4Wall.Set True,50:EXIT SUB                                                                              ' Anti bad bounce system
   END IF
   If xBAM.Ball.Speed > 2000 then
      AddDebugText "xTragetRestrain() - xBAM.Ball.Speed > 2000"
      TargWallRestrain.Collidable=TRUE:TimerTargWall.Set True,20
      Targ4Wall.Collidable=TRUE:TimerTarg4Wall.Set True,50:EXIT SUB                                                                              ' Anti bad bounce system
   END IF
   If xBAM.Ball.Speed > 1500 then
      AddDebugText "xTragetRestrain() - xBAM.Ball.Speed > 1500"
      TargWallRestrain.Collidable=TRUE:TimerTargWall.Set True,25
   END IF
   If xBAM.Ball.Speed > 1000 then
      AddDebugText "xTragetRestrain() - xBAM.Ball.Speed > 1000"
      TargWallRestrain.Collidable=TRUE:TimerTargWall.Set True,30
   END IF
End Sub

Sub TargWallRestrain_Hit()
   AddDebugText "TargWallRestrain_Hit()"
   TargWallRestrain.Collidable=FALSE
End Sub

Sub TimerTargWall_Expired()
   TimerTargWall.Enabled=False:TargWallRestrain.Collidable=FALSE:Targ4Wall.Collidable=FALSE
End Sub

EDIT: Sigh, sometimes the simplest solutions work the best. Now I'm pissed off I didn't think of that, so simple. Thanks Gimli.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:15 pm 

Have to try that. Thinking something like this would be the easiest
Code:
If xBAM.Ball.Speed > 2000 then xBAM.BallSpeedLimit = 1000

Or do a dynamic setting that looks at the speed of the ball, and then sets the ballspeedlimit to half or so with a hit.

I guess would have to clear that ballspeedlimit value with a timer afterward, and set it back to MaxBallSpeed = 2100?

Still have to do my sqiggly line to prevent the ball from shooting straight up I'm thinking.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:39 pm 

blue wrote:
Have to try that. Thinking something like this would be the easiest
Code:
If xBAM.Ball.Speed > 2000 then xBAM.BallSpeedLimit = 1000

Or do a dynamic setting that looks at the speed of the ball, and then sets the ballspeedlimit to half or so with a hit.

I guess would have to clear that ballspeedlimit value with a timer afterward, and set it back to MaxBallSpeed = 2100?

Still have to do my sqiggly line to prevent the ball from shooting straight up I'm thinking.

Sounds good.
The other thing for weird response coule be
Ballspeed and current ball trajectory causing weird bounce

So could code dynamic wall elasticity taking these into consideration

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:52 pm 

Yeah. FP physics are so wrong sometimes. Take the flippers for example. The closer the ball is to the tip of the flipper, the more extreme the angle of the ball will go when you key press. If the ball is right at the tip, at 1.1 > contact point, the ball hits the opposite side slingshot just above that slings bottom post. It just looks so wrong to everyone, as it is pointed out by vpx people. Just really shoddy physics. I'm also thinking there's some sort of randomizing thing with the flippers, that varies the angle slightly to make it "more realistic" and ends up doing the exact opposite.

Needless to say, even if you play with the XML, it just doesn't corect that problem, so My flipper walls are back in, and that works very very well, as you can tell from the video.

That's why I have that target restraining wall shaped the way it is, as the math is wrong and when I hit the side targets with a shot from the right flipper, the ball just goes straight up instead of bouncing more to the center. Shots from the top right flipper though are fine, as it's more horizontal, so FP doesn't seem to have that problem with that as opposed to vertical shots.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP