Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: JungleGirl (WIP)
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:11 am 

I agree completely , thx Shiva

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:49 am 

I have often thought that it should be possible to create a formula that creates a continuous curve of omega settings. Unfortunately, my math skills are not strong enough to do it. It was all I could do is to figure out the straight line omega curve we are using now.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:53 pm 

Simplier to just do forced settings, and a hell of a lot faster rather than screaming at your computer at 2 in the morning trying to play with a whole bunch of complex math numbers. Your never going to get a perfect set of numbers anyway, flippers from game to game are different from each other, and throw in FP and it's shoddy handling it should be damn right impossible.

Easier for me to just do it this way (though dynamic flippers are switchable in my code) once you get the hang of it doesn't take to long, and you have far better control of where you want the speed of the shot in what area. Mines a speed game, so forced settings really work well.

Like everything else though, you could play with it for months though. ;)

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: fpxEngine

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:55 pm 

You are probably right. It was probably a pipe dream.

Gimli was probably the first person to notice that the dynamic flippers affect the direction of the ball. For a while, he like to change the constants for the MaxOmega so they could be different for each main flipper. He then adjusted the omegas for each flipper to improve the shots. I tried it for a while. For me, it was easier to set the omega strengths so they work and make adjustments with the flipper angles.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:59 am 

yeah. From my point of view with Jungle Girl, there's a lot more important shots at the middle area than what Bally did, they had 3 main lanes and usually a single target in the middle, while JG has 4 targets and 2 main lanes either side. You really had to juice the flippers to make all those shots properly, almost to the point that you don't need dynamic flippers. Just the way the design works.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:44 pm 

Blue,

I have been wanting to adjust the bounce off a target and a drop target. Changing the material codes in the XML appears to be the only way. I tried changing the settings for metal but it doesn't seem to do anything. Do you know what material code is used for targets? I can't figure it out.

George

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:19 am 

plastic

But. There's a bad flaw there. The reason you get irregular bounces where the ball either falls dead on a drop target hit or bounces off it like a superball is because (and this is just a theory on my part, as it's the one that makes the most sense) Black I think put in a random percentage that various the amount of bounce and accidentally made it 50% instead of 5%. (Same with the bumpers by the way)

I came up with a restraining system for the inline targets in JG, but I also did a slightly different system for Star Trek and Playboy. Drop targets BTW lose their hit ability if they are moving, in other words popping down or up, (But the collide will still work) so that was the major pain in the ass working around as in that ocasion, there is no "hit event" and no scoring then. Not a good thing to have with a skillshot system. The ball will also go through them as well or sink in them, so it's really too easy to do double target hits.

Metal I'm pretty sure is <metalMat>

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:06 am 

Thanks! Reducing the elasticCoef appears to reduce the bounce quite a bit. The targets on Robots Invasion do seem to bounce like a superball.

Adding a wall in front of the target with a small amount space between it seems to reduce some of the randomness but I'm not sure about it.

By the way, kids these days don't have a clue what a superball is. I doubt they would ever be made these days as they would probably be considered unsafe.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:01 pm 

According to some people, everything on this planet is unsafe. I don't pay attention to those type of people.

The wall method works good, for my game, I set a timer on the wall with a very careful interval, so fast balls will be stopped, but slower balls will be allowed to bounce out without the wall. Just a appearance thing. With one of my games, I put in a curved wall embedded in the targets, with a curve so when the ball hits the target, the ball also hits the wall, and by curving the wall towards the center of the table, it helps prevent the ball from going straight up, which looks bad sometimes. Maybe down the road rav will figure out a way to give us control for other things like drop targets, like in dynamic flippers, like the bounce code for flippers. Sure save a lot of objects and quite a bit of frustration getting FP to behave.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:09 pm 

Quote:
Maybe down the road rav will figure out a way to give us control for other things like drop targets, like in dynamic flippers, like the bounce code for flippers. Sure save a lot of objects and quite a bit of frustration getting FP to behave

You actually can code dynamically for I believe most table objects....
Rav created a code for wild I believe that alters the Elasticity of hidden walls based on certain parameters like ball speed....

Code:
Sub ObjectWhatever_hit()
If ballspeed whatever then object elasticity whatever
End Sub

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP