Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post subject: Bumper causing ball to jump
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:22 pm 

New table running 1.9. I've imported the bumper model from Fireball classic, but when the ball gets hit by them it leaps into the air, it jumps over guides and plastics! Even with strength at the lowest setting it still jumps the ball. Is there a fix for this as I really want to use this style of bumper

Post subject: Re: Bumper causing ball to jump
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:41 pm 

I have not used the Fireball bumper before but you might try lowering the value of "Impulse" for the "Bumper" parameter in the XML file. I'm not sure how familiar you are with physics. If you are not using an XML file, you can save a physics 1.0 XML file with the same name as the table and then change the bumper parameter. It will then perform the same as physics 1.0 but with the change to the bumper.

George

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:58 pm 

Another trick and something I do with all my games, is to add an invisible surface layer that blankets the bumpers, so when the ball leaps up it hits the surface and stays in place. You can also add a ball drop sound effect when the surface is hit which makes the game appear more realistic. Open up any of my games and take a look at the bumper area to see what I mean.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:17 pm 

I've seen those. I never knew their purpose. I noticed you set the bottom height of the surface to 38 so the ball does not hit it directly but keeps it from bouncing up.

Cool.

George

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:27 am 

Like Slam said, If you are using the stock FP.exe, then it's best to use a non rendered surface set to the entire table area. set at 28/29 for bottom, as this fixes a lot of FP's flaws as the ball "floats" even going down a pf. You may have to "cut out" the surface for the ball to escape ( like a pop up kicker) I've been doing that for years, and still do it even with BAM "Just in case".

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: FPx Template Engine

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:21 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
I've seen those. I never knew their purpose. I noticed you set the bottom height of the surface to 38 so the ball does not hit it directly but keeps it from bouncing up.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes. A solid steel ball is a wild beast that needs taming. And my experience helping to design real pinball games, showed me that the ball can leap up and get stuck in a real machine just as it does in Future Pinball. Game designers will add clear plastic surfaces to combat this. But as any game designer will tell you, if there's a chance the ball will go there, it will. So pinball game design requires you to try and outsmart the ball and think ahead. Trust me, the ball is smarter.

And this is why I like Future Pinball, because the ball can be just as crazy as a real ball. I like those imperfections, that randomness.

Harry Williams summed it up with his famous statement: "The ball is wild". He's right.

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help