Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:35 am 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
Ok, I finally figured out how to successfully add cool looking shadow maps using BAM.

Best if I just show you in a demo table. It's late now and I've run out of time but tomorrow I'll release one of my classic EM mods - Bally's Star Trek, updated with advanced lighting techniques, including realistic shadow maps.

I keep checking but the Star Trek Red link seems to be inactive, sounds cool !

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:40 pm 

Gimli wrote:
SLAMT1LT wrote:
Ok, I finally figured out how to successfully add cool looking shadow maps using BAM.

Best if I just show you in a demo table. It's late now and I've run out of time but tomorrow I'll release one of my classic EM mods - Bally's Star Trek, updated with advanced lighting techniques, including realistic shadow maps.

There's a video link now that shows some of it off. Looks (and sounds) very nice. This is where having really low ambient lighting set in BAM would make it more noticeable.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:41 pm 

Gimli wrote:
SLAMT1LT wrote:

There's a video link now that shows some of it off. Looks (and sounds) very nice. This is where having really low ambient lighting set in BAM would make it more noticeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qz869tEqVQ

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:27 pm 

TerryRed wrote:
GeorgeH wrote:
Thanks Slam! I have been experimenting with shadow masks and found I have to learn more about lighting in order to make them work. The nano flashers you use are pretty cool.

George

To help clarify.... "Hardware Lights" are Flashers. When you add a new Flashers it's considered a Hardware Light. These lights render differently than other lights in that they can be more realistic looks and unform and can affect everything around them.

Hardware Lights work with FP or New Renderer...but New Renderer is where they will really look amazing. You can only have 7 Hardware Lights "active" at one time. This is only in reference to the flasher acting like a Hardware Light.

So for example....use a New Table to test. Add 7 flashers to the middle table and have them always ON. Then play the table. Use New Renderer with the Global Lighting really low and you'll see the huge difference netween FP and New Renderer.

Now exit and add 2 more flashers set to always ON. Play the table again. You will see that now only 7 of them will have the per-pixel lighting...BUT if you use the Manual Camera you will notice that if you move the camera so only 7 of them are in view, you will see other flashers becaome "hardware lights" depending on which are in view first,etc.

As for the Global Lighting. Think of that as a MASTER single Light that is always there. For normal FP it was never meant to be adjusted. With BAM, when you make Lighting and Ambient Lighting changes, it only affects that one light. With BAM you can also change the position, etc.

The BEST test for how good a table looks is to turn the global / ambient lighting completely off. Then you will see how using 2 hardware lights under the slings for GI truly works compared to a table with no hardware lights for GI.

Here's a video demonstrating several things:

1. Nano flashers only used for GI
2. Flashers used for Hardware lighting
3. "LED" Flasher mod where I used 2 layers of flashers each assigned to a "miniplayfield" and superimposed them on the table as we discussed previously.

Then I fade in /out each layer as required. One layer keeps the original flasher colours
(yellow and green) and the second layer I set all 4 flashers to red.

I also included the Nano Slingshot flashers in my layers, so I can illuminate GI with a second color but have not done that yet....

4. I have the "LED" layers in table editor hovering directly over the table and NOT off to the side as before and by doing this you can now code all of the flashers using Light Sequencing codes
See video where I toggle between light sequences with each layer of flashers....around 50 second mark of video.
all the flashers can be coded individually , together or as sequences

5. Shadow Maps

https://youtu.be/BPZk0jKLeGE

Last edited by Gimli on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:38 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:55 am 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
That's it! Much better :)

Now this is a very useful gimmick for creating some nice effects. I do use sequencers for the flashers in Jaws so I probably won't use it in Jaws just yet. I need to play with it a bit more to figure out how best to use it.

SLAM , see preceding post with video confirming light sequencer capability...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner