Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:29 am 

Bear in mind when making my little TV screen bigger, that when I create these clips, they're very low quality (400x180 pixels) and I've reduced the frame rate from 24 to 12 frames per second.

For some reason (another bug perhaps?) the image list sequencer only allows 1000 frames to be added, so I have to create 2 LCD screens, one in front of the other, to play a second image list of another 1000 frames. In the new update, I've added more clips and so I need a 3rd LCD screen to play another image list sequencer.

Ideally, I'd like one sequencer with an increased capacity to hold 2000, 3000 frames of animations (or movie clips). Or the ability to call any image list to a single LCD screen (it's actually the hologram toy that projects the images, but I refer to it as an LCD screen).

The only reason I still use this technique for adding movie clips to my games is for the view I play with - desktop follow the ball. I just think it looks cool having a media player on the playfield as the ball sweeps by it in 3D.

For PinCab users, using the media player devised by TerryRed is a much better option as you can look at the backglass at anytime and have HD 24 frame clips (or 30 frames if using TV clips), and also have the freedom to add multiple screens to mimic what Jersey Jack does.

I'm going to play around with the shadow mapping in my Jaws update. It has to be subtle and hardly noticeable to be most effective. The brain picks up things your conscious mind misses and when playing pinball, your conscious mind is busy keeping that ball in play!

As an example, and now that I've brought it to your attention you'll notice it - when all the lights are off and the table is in darkness, on Jaws I added a shadow underneath the plastics which is removed when the area is bathed in light. Subtle but effective.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:19 am 

Demo sent to SLAM, Terry, GeorgeH

It contains:
1.Coloured Flashers
2.Playfield texture swap
3.Shadow Maps

This is just a demo of ideas and not intended for actual game play, I have no idea what the final product should be or look like...that of course is for SLAM

Cheers :D

SLAMT1LT wrote:
Bear in mind when making my little TV screen bigger, that when I create these clips, they're very low quality (400x180 pixels) and I've reduced the frame rate from 24 to 12 frames per second.

Ya when I imported the opening Krissie gets eaten scene to project on the walls during attract mode...I tried to use the highest res sequence I could get off of youtube

Quote:
Or the ability to call any image list to a single LCD screen (it's actually the hologram toy that projects the images, but I refer to it as an LCD screen).

What do you mean ? Do you have multiple Holograms or you do have a huge image list and it is just a pain jumping around to find which numbers to use ?

You of course can use Miniplayfield tool and just swap multiple holograms each with a different image list . Basically swapping like I am doing with flashers....

There is a limit of 16 total MP slots per table

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:34 pm 

Gimli wrote:
What do you mean ? Do you have multiple Holograms or you do have a huge image list and it is just a pain jumping around to find which numbers to use ?

You of course can use Miniplayfield tool and just swap multiple holograms each with a different image list . Basically swapping like I am doing with flashers....

There is a limit of 16 total MP slots per table

At the moment I'm using multiple holograms occupying the same space to play the movie clips, I control them by fading them in and out so they don't overlap. It seems that the mini playfield feature can just swap these screens which is more or less the same thing.

What would be easier is to use one hologram that can call any image list it needs - "movieclips1", "movieclips2" etc.

So the code would be something like:

(BAM code to identify hologram and assign it an image list): LCDScreen.Frame 1, 150

But the system I have now works fine if it can't be done.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:40 pm 

https://youtu.be/d4aFya7skB0

This may seem overwhelming , but it really is just getting the hang of miniplayfield tool.

Grab something in yellow box , move it and scale it in green box and copy and paste the code.

Then reload the table go to miniplayfieid menu and refine the parameters and view what is happening with the boxes and objects....and copy and paste your code changes

Making a light map was pretty straight forward , but a number of steps that can likely be refined:
1. Make a "layer" empty in table editor , by removing all objects from that layer by assigning them to other layers
2. Decide which flashers and bulbs you want in your "map" and assign them all to that layer
3. Hide all the other layers , so all you see is your chosen layer
4. Grab all you lights now at once by circling with mouse pointer
5. Drags them off the table ( you now have your " map"or "light template")
It is a little tricky if these lights have been assigned to varying "surface" elevations.

6. With all of your chosen lights selected (ie your "map) copy and paste them to an adjacent area.
Do the same with all of the "surfaces" used. Now go through your new copy and make sure the new lights are assigned to the appropriate new surface and give them whatever color you want.
7. Increase elevations on all these surfaces by same amount to create a new layer.

8. Now Grab your copied lights all at once and drag them over the original map.
9. Do the same process to create more layers of lights.
10. Now use BAM miniplayfield tool to grab each layer as a separate "miniplayfiled"
and to then superimpose all the layers on the table.
11. simply use Scale = 0 to make a layer dissappear and Scale = 1 to make in reappear.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:07 pm 

A single line of code is all that was needed to swap out the playfield texture, now that's what I like.

The LED flashers is a bit more complicated. I noticed the original flasher remains in place, the replacements are just placed over them?

If this is the case, then I'd have to change the colour of all the base flashers to a neutral colour like white. In your demo, the original colour flasher can be seen but the flasher colour is different. Also, there's a layering issue when the replacement flashers are brought in, the plastic ramp behind shows through. Can the LED flashers brought in be layered (send to front)?

It's a very cool feature.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:13 pm 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
A single line of code is all that was needed to swap out the playfield texture, now that's what I like.

The LED flashers is a bit more complicated. I noticed the original flasher remains in place, the replacements are just placed over them?

If this is the case, then I'd have to change the colour of all the base flashers to a neutral colour like white. In your demo, the original colour flasher can be seen but the flasher colour is different. Also, there's a layering issue when the replacement flashers are brought in, the plastic ramp behind shows through. Can the LED flashers brought in be layered (send to front)?

It's a very cool feature.

I think I goofed.
The intention was to not leave the originals in place....I noticed that and thought I updated the demo. the original colours and all the colours can be what you want. The originals I left the same. pm sent to you

The layering issue is fixed in MP tool....by moving a layer to the right spot
It only occurs when I have 2 layers active at the same time to create a mixed colour...
But I can fix it...

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:12 pm 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
Bear in mind when making my little TV screen bigger, that when I create these clips, they're very low quality (400x180 pixels) and I've reduced the frame rate from 24 to 12 frames per second. ...

I think TerryRed could tell you how to add high resolution video. He uses it to add video to his pincab. You have probably heard him talk about it in the videos he records. He has told me it can be used to add video to any table and not just pinbabs. Of course, you have to install PinUp and DOFLinx, I think.

George

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:13 pm 

That's it! Much better :)

Now this is a very useful gimmick for creating some nice effects. I do use sequencers for the flashers in Jaws so I probably won't use it in Jaws just yet. I need to play with it a bit more to figure out how best to use it.

I've updated the dynamic shadows and playfield texture swaps in Jaws and it's look pretty damn good so far.

I was thinking about adding blood spatter to the playfield when a victim is eaten by Jaws...and I can do that easily now with the texture swap. Might be a bit too much though, this is a family game :D

Btw, have you updated the dynamic flipper code? I can see extra code in the script that you've added.

I haven't tried it yet, but I suppose the texture swap can also be applied to the side walls? Just in case I want to add a different scene.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:20 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
SLAMT1LT wrote:
I think TerryRed could tell you how to add high resolution video. He uses it to add video to his pincab. You have probably heard him talk about it in the videos he records. He has told me it can be used to add video to any table and not just pinbabs. Of course, you have to install PinUp and DOFLinx, I think.

Yes, he already explained it to me. I don't think it's possible to add a screen to the playfield, only the backglass. The low res and reduced frames really doesn't bother me, the clips are really only there to compliment the action on the playfield, but to PinCab owners who play in 4k, then an update may be required, which is a simple case of editing the movie for the same clips I used and then using PinUp to play them.

But as I said to Terry, once it becomes easy for anyone to add movie clips to a game of pinball, then the action on the playfield starts to diminish as the clips take over. I edit my clips like old DMD animations, very quick and they only pop in and out during key moments, just enough to entertain but not enough to distract.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:45 pm 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
That's it! Much better :)

Now this is a very useful gimmick for creating some nice effects. I do use sequencers for the flashers in Jaws so I probably won't use it in Jaws just yet. I need to play with it a bit more to figure out how best to use it.

Sequencing may work try it. I named the flashers "neon"
You definiitely can bring up any colour layer and turn on /off/blink any of the lights in that layer.

I believe if I moved all the layers so they hover over the table in table editor and grab them from there, then light sequencer will work....

SLAMT1LT wrote:
I've updated the dynamic shadows and playfield texture swaps in Jaws and it's look pretty damn good so far.

Nice !
I think the shadow map I had for "ambient light" messes things up...try deleting from the Bam_init code...

SLAMT1LT wrote:
I was thinking about adding blood spatter to the playfield when a victim is eaten by Jaws...and I can do that easily now with the texture swap. Might be a bit too much though, this is a family game :D

Cool ! He he

SLAMT1LT wrote:
Btw, have you updated the dynamic flipper code? I can see extra code in the script that you've added.

Maybe, I am always messing with it...it has a bunch of monitoring stuff for tweaking dynamics (Blue is working on a comprehensive template that will include all that stuff)

SLAMT1LT wrote:
I haven't tried it yet, but I suppose the texture swap can also be applied to the side walls? Just in case I want to add a different scene.

Yep so long as side rails are made of a texture swappable object

xBAM.SetPlayfieldTexture "TextureName"

xBAM.SetTransliteTexture "TextureName"
xBAM.SetCabinetTexture "TextureName"

xBAM.SetPosterTexture "TextureName"

xBAM.SetTexture "fpObjectName", "TextureName", "ObjectFace"

xBAM.SetEnamelTexture FPObjectName, textureName

Textures can be swapped on the following object types:

Cabinet art

Translite

Playfield

Surface

Toy

Bulb,Light
Gate
Spinner
Trigger
TriggerOpto
SpinningDisk
AutoPlunger
Bumper
Diverter
EmKicker
Popup
Flipper
Target
DropTarget
SwingTarget
TargetVari

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner