Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Welcome to GoPinball » Welcome

Post subject: Newbie Alert
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:26 pm 

Hi all just a quick hello and an apology in advance for when I ask all my really stupid questions. I have never really had any dealings with software before but I do repair laser printers. So the fist thing to do is build a pinball machine. I have just taken delivery of two HD TV's 43" and 24" I also have a 17 " laptop panel to use as a DMD.

All I have to do now is figure out what software I need what type of tables to download for my grandson . then I will have a go at designing my first table maybe?

Thank
Tony

Post subject: Re: Newbie Alert
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:43 pm 

You need Future Pinball/BAM and use this guide to set it up:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6054

Some guys install Visual Pinball that you get here:

https://www.vpforums.org/

Some guys install "FX3" that can be oriented for a pincab. "FX2" is the older version. I don't know how they set it up.

There is a limited following for "The Pinball Arcade".

George

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:37 am 

Many thanks GeorgeH
I will get it done while I am waiting for the materials to arrive for the cabinet.

Could you please explain what the difference between a "Table" and a "Cabinet" file is? I have downloaded a game file that has both options in it? As I'm building a cabinet should I use that or am I really building a Pin "table" with a TV as the table and need the table option. Sorry if this sounds a bit of a dumb question but the terminology is quite confusing for us old boys.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Tony

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:08 pm 

Tony,

I tend to call all pinball files "tables" but the main difference between a table for a desktop PC and a pinball cabinet is the orientation. Nearly all of the tables on Pinsimdb have screenshots of the table on a desktop PC where the monitor is oriented in landscape format. Pinball cabinets require the table be oriented in a portrait format. Any table on Pinsimdb can be oriented to play on a cabinet although most have a Heads Up Display that you will want to turn off. I explained to Hlr53 how to turn the HUD off in the following posting:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6751

A few tables have options that turn the HUD off but there aren't very many. A few of the old versions have a cabinet version of the table where the HUD is already turned off but it is easy to do yourself.

George

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:25 pm 

Thanks again George for for your help. I think I was getting confused because the Visual pinball tables don't have the game room and they fill the whole display. I have managed to setup some tables and moved the Hud out of the way using the editor to unlock the hud and drag it out of view. It was easier than I thought it was going to be.

Thanks again for your time and help your a top man.
Tony

Board index » Welcome to GoPinball » Welcome