Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post subject: How do you change the bumper strength on EM tables?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 am 

I have been DLing the EM tables from IRPinball. Some nights I like to play just EMs to relive my youth :-) I played a LOT of hours (dimes in those days) on EM machines in high school between '67 - '71. One thing I have noticed is the bumper strength (the round bumpers) are set too low on the first few machines I have tried. The real machines bumpers play much faster. The way the virtual machines play would mimic a machine that is worn out. Played many of those too :-)

Do I set the strength in the script and if so where? I do not know VB Script but have programmed over 30 years so I should be able to pick it up fairly easy.

Or do I set it on the object? If so, how?

Many thanks!

--Harry

Post subject: Re: How do you change the bumper strength on EM tables?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:41 am 

Hi Harry,

Initially, I would recommenced you change the "Strength" of the bumper as an object in the Future Pinball (FP) program.

So..... Start FP, open up your desired table, select the respective 'Bumper' (it will be on 1 of the 10 possible layers... (If in doubt - hit F1 for the FP Manual)), once selected - the BUMPER options menu will be view-able; right hand side of the FP window. Scroll down to the 'Physics' "Strength" adjustment slider - make your desired change and hopefully that should be it ;-) ** you'll have to follow the same process for all of the individual bumpers.

Once changed - test/save your table, close / re-start FP and load / play your revised table.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:58 am 

Gin wrote:
Hi Harry,

Initially, I would recommenced you change the "Strength" of the bumper as an object in the Future Pinball (FP) program.

So..... Start FP, open up your desired table, select the respective 'Bumper' (it will be on 1 of the 10 possible layers... (If in doubt - hit F1 for the FP Manual)), once selected - the BUMPER options menu will be view-able; right hand side of the FP window. Scroll down to the 'Physics' "Strength" adjustment slider - make your desired change and hopefully that should be it ;-) ** you'll have to follow the same process for all of the individual bumpers.

Once changed - test/save your table, close / re-start FP and load / play your revised table.

Perfect! (or as they say when I visit Ireland on business - Brilliant!)

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Harry

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:39 am 

If you get to the minimum or maximum strength on the strength sliders and you want more adjustment, you can adjust the value for Bumper Impulse in an XML file (but I suspect that is a place you probably won't want to go).

A few table designers build their own bumpers and use EM kickers arranged in a circle to bump the ball. To adjust these, you have to adjust each EM kicker. You usually have to turn layers off and on in order to see them inside the bumper. I think they may be used mostly on solid state tables so you might not ever encounter them.

George

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:06 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
If you get to the minimum or maximum strength on the strength sliders and you want more adjustment, you can adjust the value for Bumper Impulse in an XML file (but I suspect that is a place you probably won't want to go).

A few table designers build their own bumpers and use EM kickers arranged in a circle to bump the ball. To adjust these, you have to adjust each EM kicker. You usually have to turn layers off and on in order to see them inside the bumper. I think they may be used mostly on solid state tables so you might not ever encounter them.

George

Hi George,

Nope, not ready to play there yet :-) Moving the strength sliders balanced out the round bumpers with the slings very nicely for the old EM tables. I have been leaving them one notch short of max and leaving the slings alone. Matter of taste. I 'm just trying to remember how the old tables played. I was fortunate enough to have a pinball arcade a mile from my dad's house growing up. Torn down decades ago for condos. Price of progress :-(

I figured there were adjustments elsewhere because a table like Slam's F-14 have bumper speeds off the charts.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:44 pm 

I think Slam's tables have excellent game play but I've personally never liked his physics all that much. I usually make changes to the physics to suite me. I have found you can usually substitute his physics 2.7 file with physics 2.5.

George

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:36 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:

George

In my experience this solution works very well, in fact you only need 1/4 strength on the kickers in standard physics to emulate the strongest real life bumpers, any higher and the ball litterally flies. I was fortunate to play the last of the EM machines when they were brand new, and some had very powerful bumpers, usually the Bally and Gottlieb machines had the most powerful bumpers, most Williams EM machines had notoriously weak bumpers

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm 

SlipperyJimdiGris wrote:
GeorgeH wrote:

George

In my experience this solution works very well, in fact you only need 1/4 strength on the kickers in standard physics to emulate the strongest real life bumpers, any higher and the ball litterally flies. I was fortunate to play the last of the EM machines when they were brand new, and some had very powerful bumpers, usually the Bally and Gottlieb machines had the most powerful bumpers, most Williams EM machines had notoriously weak bumpers

I have never understood the advantage of creating these. FP's bumpers appear to work about as well.

George

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help