Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » PinSimDB.org & GoPinball.com sites » Bug report and feature requests

Post subject: Re: Rename "GoPinball" Forum
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:42 am 

I posted a "News Form" on PinSimDB to attract new members to the forum. Would someone like Alex or anyone approve it?

Thanks,

George

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:35 am 

Oh, sorry, we don't have alerts on news.
I have a look at it right now.
Next time, do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Alex

How to add your table or fill missing information : viewtopic.php?f=72&p=34257#p34257

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:16 pm 

Thanks Alex. It looks good. We'll see if it helps. There seems to be more traffic on PinSimDB than here so we'll see.

How difficult would it be to rename the forum to "PinSimDB Forum"? I was a webmaster before I was retired so I can help.

Is is possible to add an introductory statement that says something about the two sites being related on the "Board index" page? I think that would help and shouldn't be too difficult.

George

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:10 pm 

See, I told you guys we needed more work to improve this forum. After I posted the "Please, Join Our Forum!" message on the PinSimDB main page 2 weeks ago, we have added 17 new members to the forum!

I still think we need to rename this forum "PinSimDB Forum". I am fairly confident this would improve things after seeing the results of just adding this message to the PinSimDB page. Nobody seems to want to do that so a good first step would be to add some sort of welcome message at the top of the forum 's home page that says something about this being the forum for PinSimDB.

George

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:09 am 

Thanks George!
I agree
I don't know if a name change will effect any "hit revenues" this forum makes.

Monster Bash is fairly quickly approaching 100 k views and I don't know if that is real people or add.bots viewing it?

And I don't understand why some threads grow seemingly out of sync with rest of the traffic

The BAM numbers make sense

Wilds NES thread was really rocking a few months ago

My DMD tutorial numbers of 40 k also seem high especially when you consider the total lack of comments

I am happy if the web hosts get compensated for keeping FP alive

It could be a cost vs benefit thing for LVR and TheNalex

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:18 am 

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. Real life is a bit hard on me these days (I must leave my flat in a very short delay - so I buy one - lots of stress, lots of paperwork, bank and so on). And you know Murphy's law, LvR is also trying to move at the same time! But hey, it's life.

Before I got this bad news, I was thinking of replacing the forum software with the latest version. But in order to do this:

• We have to migrate all contents of the current forum to the new one. It's not an easy process. The forum will be unavailable for an unknown period of time (maybe a week). Maybe, the old forum could be readonly during the migration.
  • We can change the name (and design) at the same time. I'm not particularly fond of the current one, yellow text on black background makes my eyes bleed ;) Regarding this matter, I'm not at all a designer. For instance, pinsimdb "design" was done by me, it's probably the best I can do :lol: So if anyone is capable and is willing to do it. We can also rework pinsimdb design at the same time.
  • After that if some people are interested, we are in need of moderators. We can also give them the ability to reorganize the contents (make a proper section for the BAM helps, for example)

Keep in mind this is only thoughts - I won't be able to start anything before late september.

Regarding the "compensation", google's adsense income is enough for the web hosting fee. We are not looking for money. But you can help by clicking on ads from time to time ;)

Alex

How to add your table or fill missing information : viewtopic.php?f=72&p=34257#p34257

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:01 pm 

Sounds good. I used to be a webmaster at work and might be able to help do some coding though I have never built a forum before.

George

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:10 pm 

George would be an awesome moderator !

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:34 am 

Gimli wrote:
George would be an awesome moderator !

I can do that if there is a need.

George

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:22 am 

Ok, we will see how real life things goes in a few month then.

Alex

Board index » PinSimDB.org & GoPinball.com sites » Bug report and feature requests