Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Resources » FP Addons

Post subject: DOFLinx Addressable leds (MX) coming soon for FP anf FX2!
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:46 pm 

Yes….its for real. I will post DDH69’s announcement post from vpforums:

=====================================
First of all – thanks TerryRed

So here is my badly constructed video of the early stages of DOFLinx allowing Pinball FX2 to drive an array of addressable LEDs.

https://youtu.be/lbLQSJk11kA

The video shows DOFLinx;
– Setting menu, that is a way to turn on / off outputs to control relays and turn your devices on / off
– Bob’s Burgers active back glass with FX2
– Driving the addressable LED array from Bob’s Burgers

Testing is underway with FX2 and will start very shortly for FP for driving addressable LEDs using DOF.  TerryRed and I hope to have a release ready for general use in a few weeks.

After TerryRed’s initial idea and prompts, its taken me a long time (and Ultimate IO, Pinscape and some other stuff), then I got my addressable LEDs array built, now the base coding is done.  Probably most time consuming is the MX effects and lining them to meaningful table events.  I’ve been working on a sample FX2 table, which happens first as it has less layers than FP, and TerryRed is working on a sample FP.

There’s still a lot of testing, configuration and work to be done … but its coming soon!

=======================================

With DOFLinx currently… the DOF support for FP and FX2 worked with using DOFLinx commands.

For addressable leds (MX), it would be a major pain for DDH69 to recreate his own commands,etc.  So the idea is to simply create a new DOF “Trigger” type of command that FP and FX2 will use to “trigger” a DOF trigger / effect for a particular “rom” (found in the *30.ini file).

Arngrim said he is open to adding in FX2 and FP “roms” (just a name reference, not an ACTUAL rom) to the DOF Config Tool. So once a FP or FX2 table is added (and they have received the DOFLinx MX support and the DOF added in by us or someone else), then you would just update your DOF config files just you would with VPX.  This also means users can add or change effects without needing to touch the FP and FX2 table (again, after the FP and FX2 table got a new DOFLinx MX update).

I have been trying to create a database / template for DDH69 to start with. Finding different effects, etc takes a while, and as DDH69 said, there’s still more to go on his end for DOFLinx….but it does work and is coming!

Post subject: Re: DOFLinx Addressable leds (MX) coming soon for FP anf FX2
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:08 pm 

Looks cool! Where will you install the array on your cabinet? It doesn't look like it would fit anywhere.

George

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:29 pm 

I already have these in my cabinet....for a long time. I have an array at the back and single strips on the sides.

This was available to VP tables, but not for anything else...until now.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:34 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
Looks cool! Where will you install the array on your cabinet? It doesn't look like it would fit anywhere.

George

Here's what will soon be available for Future Pinball....

https://youtu.be/VoASoX-mvcc?t=2m59s

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:05 am 

Cool! Maybe I should try VP again. I have VP 9.0.2 installed but haven't played it in years.

George

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:21 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
Cool! Maybe I should try VP again. I have VP 9.0.2 installed but haven't played it in years.

George

I better clarify in case someone misunderstands...it's the lighting in the video that's coming for Future Pinball, not the tables in the video with the lighting.

:)

Masters of the Universe is looking stunning with Addressable leds!!!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:43 pm 

Looking Great!!!

So, guess I had best put some addressable LEDs on the shopping list too... :)
[This Cabinet is starting to scope creep (which I totally enjoy :geek:), but not too sure the Bank Manager is :lol: ]

Terry,

Which LEDs have you used in your Cab?

Will you be providing the "rom"; as it were then - for the Masters of the Universe FP Table..? When the new DOFLinx is released...

Also, looking forward to seeing your revised DOFLinx'd table versions when ready ;)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:00 pm 

Once this is sorted and we have all the bugs sorted.... I cannot highly recommend addressable leds. They are much simpler to install, and the hardware is small (except for you 5V power supply). Of course they will need to be added to the table script just like normal DOFLinx commands, but that is coming....

To use addressable leds MX (and normal DOF ) you would want to use the DOF Config Tool website to setup and match your your cabinet hardware first.

There are no "rom" files (so to speak) involved for FP.

The way normal DOF (solenoids, flashers,etc) and addressable leds (MX) work with Visual Pinball is you use the DOF Config Tool website to configure what you have in your cabinet (to match your cabinet's setup files for DOF). Then you use the Tool to automatically Generate and Map all the DOF commands for EVERY VP table in it's library to match your cabinet's setup. This is all saved to ONE configuration file (or more if you have other hardware).

This is needed because everyone uses different controllers setup on different ports,etc. This is an easy way support everyone all at once.

The way it will "hopefully" work, is that the "rom name" for Future Pinball tables gets added to the DOF Config Tool website library by Arngrim (its creator). If that gets done, then its easy for everyone (who is all setup with DOF Config Tool).

When its all said and done and you are setup with DOF software, DOF Config Tool, and DOFLinx, to use this stuff:

Best case scenario:

-You simply download the DOFLinx MX modded FP table
-goto the DOF Config Tool and "Generate" a new updated master config file (directoutputconfig30.ini) for ALL tables (VP,FP,etc) and just copy that to your your DirectOutput/config folder.
-Use DOFLinx and the FP table as per normal.

Worst case scenario:

-we can't use DOF Config Tool at all (but I hope that doesn't happen)
-you will have to add the FP table DOF MX commands to your own directouputconfig30.ini file yourself. (provided by the DOFLinx mod author in an excel sheet)
-using the excel sheet for the table (that has all the DOF commands,etc) ,you would modify it (very minimal and simple) to match your own cabinet.
-You would just copy all the commands (and FP rom name) that are automatically generated in ONE excel cell and paste that into your directouputconfig30.ini. It's really just a copy and paste. Its quick and easy once you understand how it works.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:27 pm 

You know something I have always wandered about is how you guys manage to create DOFlinx tables that are compatible with each other's cabinets. Do you have some sort of agreed upon configuration of your cabinets? It seems like you would need to have LEDs and other lights in the same locations if you are going to use a DOFlinx table that someone else created on your cabinet.

George

Post subject: Re: DOFLinx Addressable leds (MX) coming soon for FP and FX2
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:46 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
You know something I have always wandered about is how you guys manage to create DOFlinx tables that are compatible with each other's cabinets. Do you have some sort of agreed upon configuration of your cabinets? It seems like you would need to have LEDs and other lights in the same locations if you are going to use a DOFlinx table that someone else created on your cabinet.

George

As far as DOFLinx up until this point, you simply configured your setup in the DOLFinx.ini file that matches your cabinet. This is still the case for normal solenoids, flashers, lights, buttons, shaker,etc...

For these addressable LEDs (MX), its way too complicated for DDH69 to recreate it for DOFLinx.

So for MX leds, we are simply using the normal DOF way of doing this, and that's what requires the additional setup in order to make them work with everyone's cabinet setup. If everyone used the same setup it would be easy.

Last edited by TerryRed on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » Resources » FP Addons