Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post subject: No Backglass rendering
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:02 am 

Whenever I try to use FP in dual screen mode, the backglass never renders. All I see is a black screen with a white bar (probably the FP logo), then when the table loads, I have a few light coloured squares where the reels would be with thr rest of the screen still black. Desktop or arcade mode, it's still the same result. I have tried every configuation in the video preferences and the Bam settings without success.
I thought that my Nvidia Gforce 9600 might be the isuue, being too undergunned, but I have no backglass issues in all VP versions.
The other thing I noticed is that, in dual monitor mode, FP slows to a crawl. taking ages to load and then giving me about 10 FPS when the table loads.
Once again, no speed issues in VP, despite the CPU being an old Intel core 2 duo 4300, aided by 4GIG DDR2 ram.

I tried uninstalling FP and re-installing with no success there, either.

Does anyone have a solution, or am I doomed to play single monitor, until a new PC falls out of the sky?

Post subject: Re: No Backglass rendering
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:28 am 

I have never played FP with 2 monitors so I don't have a definitive answer. I suggest checking "Full Screen". Checking "Arcade Mode" will turn off the backbox so it does not display on your main monitor. I would probably leave it unchecked so you can press the tab and see the backbox on your main screen if desired. The maximum resolution listed in the pull down box is usually the native resolution of your monitor. Your backbox monitor might produce the effects you are experiencing if it is trying to display a higher resolution image than what your monitor is capable of. This doesn't seem likely but possible. I assume you are not using the Static Cam or one of the other advanced menus. If you are, you can be zoomed in on a very small are or not even looking at the backbox. I don't think it is possible to happen if you are using the basic or advanced menu.

Basically, I don't know. All my experience is with a single monitor.

Anyone else have any ideas?

George

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:25 pm 

Hi George,

I understand the static cam ans other cam settings. This problem arose from the first time I tried a dual monitor approach and I was running FP without BAM. Unfortuantely, I have not discovered a BAM setting that can fix the issue, although I keep exploring.
Maybe someone else who is running a dual monitor, non cab arrangement has some insight. As I've said, I have tied all the monitor configs in FP's video preferences, with and without the matching monitor resolutions.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:43 am 

I saw something in the past about picking the proper display numbers in FP video settings...display 1 , display 2, display 3 etccc...there was a glitch where certain people had to swap the numbers or something...it was at vpforums.

Last edited by Gimli on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:55 am 

Did you intend to post the ling to Spotify?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:35 pm 

Oops

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 pm 

I've tried swapping display numbers and resolutions, with sometimes alarming results. Windows is a bit limited when itn comes to ID-ing displays. I've tried swapping the VGA ports on the Nvidia card, but Windows always likes my LG TV (1920 x 1080) as display 2 and my Samsung syncmaster 2243BW (1680 x 1050) as display 1.
However, FP gives me the same result whether I configure either disply as the backbox or playfield, so long as one is the backbox and the other monitor is the playfield. If I assign both backbox and playfield to one diplay, FP goes all flashy.

But in any case, is FP supposed to slow to a crawl in a dual monitor config? No else seems to report that problem. Once again, I don;t think it's a hardware issue as VP renders all images just fine under all sorts of loads.

I would dearly love to wipe the drive, re-install th OS (Windows 7 64-bit) and re-install FP to see if that fixes the problem, but my PC also serves in work and other related matters, so that is not an option at this time.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:06 pm 

It definitely slows down the FPS on my system with the second monitor
I usually lower the resolution on the back-glass monitor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:02 am 

OK the,

That kinda leads to another related question. What is the minimum system requirement for running FP in a dual monitor configuration, a la cabinet. As opposed to minimum system requirements running single screen on a desktop PC.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:20 pm 

I don't think FP has any published specs. Some of the guys that have pin cabs can probably tell you what works for them.

George

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help