Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shadows on playfield.
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:01 pm 

this is the reason for my initial questions......is need understand well what the shadow map is.....and what is needed

exactly as I said on another place, the shadows do its job, if there is a playfield elaborate just for the shadows, now, there are many tables, of which I saw that the playfield is so, so these could be adapted shadows.

now, we always talk about shadows, that is, the shadow map, in fact it does, and no one can say the opposite .., but as I'm doing on TR, you can adapt the lights ... to let you understand the "nanoflash" (I I created my personal), which positioning it strategically, you can get a nice effect ..... I like to call it that.and then do not forget the new renderer, is fundamental.

now if we shadow the existing lights on a table, and normal that we do not have the due effect, and that the shadows are not shadows, there are other factors to consider, the color, what the light is.... (bulb, flash, or light ) and therefore, we do not have the effect we believe in.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:26 am 

Your video looks right.

George

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:52 am 

ok,just to talk, and discuss together........I hope the translator will not make me jokes.
as Gimli demonstrates, in his video, the "shadow map" creates shadows on the wooden playfied.....for how right it is.

I put only this video to demonstrate the effect it does, by activating the shadow map, on two flashes......one visible the other no,created by me.....to understand.. the famous "nanoflash"

you can see that I activate the shadow map, in two ways, one with the table, day, clear, on ... the other night, dark, off .... I hope you understand sosa I mean, in English it's easy to misspell the word......and see the effect it creates, in different settings

not active the new renderer, for TR, not necessary, I leave "FP original", and I do not put "New renderer"
and I put "night", if I activate the new render and I put "dark night", I have ... the whole table completely darkened.....said this here is the video.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:53 am 

It appears you are getting some good lighting effects. My understanding is FP does not support more than 8 flashers. I don't think you exceeded that number but not sure. I think that if you use more than 8 flashers, FP just selects 8 to use and the others won't work. You may have already know this but I just found out.

George

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 am 

The table looks amazing wild.
I could suggest a couple of things ;)

1. You have created a couple shadow maps that
work only partly because the "play lightimage' you are using is blocking them.

2. The lightimage idea is
Very cool because it treats the playfield like a light....but you should also try xbam playfield swapping code

It is very easy to do
A. add a "surface" in table editor and assign up to 3 playfield textures in any of the three positions :
Top, side or enamal map.

This "surface's" only function is to load your playfield textures into FPs
ram .

B. Now the code is only one line and simple
Code:
 xBAM.SetPlayfieldTexture "YourTextureName"

3. The benefit of this is all shadows and reflections
can be seen on all playfield images that you swap.

4. As I mentioned above,
Lighter playfield textures show shadows and reflections better.

5. To make shadow maps
For a table it is best to start with a light playfield texture and
turn off playfield reflections in FP settings temporarily so you don't mistake them for shadows

6. Set hardware lights to 7 ( this is the max) in FP video settings

7. Strength = 2000 and Range > 10 makes very strong shadows

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:01 pm 

Are hardware lights the same as flashers?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:22 pm 

I think "flashers" and "bulbs" are available as hardware lighting but not "lights" and "light images"

You can tell by the way they reflect off table objects in dark night mode

And if > 7 bulbs + flashers are active at once then the surplus will will behave like simple lights...

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:41 pm 

How do you make "flashers" and "bulbs" perform as hardware lighting? ...Or do you have no control over it.

G

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:52 pm 

I don't think you control it except by limiting it in FP settings ? And perhaps location on table effects it in some measure ?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:41 pm 

Gimli wrote:
... as shadows don't work at all on my office computers that have integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics..the maps show as black squares and no shadow is seen at all.

Fixed with BAM v.1.4-250.
Also problem was only in shadow-map generation. If you have shadows store inside fpt (as texture in texture-manager) all worked find in old BAM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner