Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Others Pinball Simulations » Visual Pinball

Post subject: VR support for VP
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:21 pm 

You guys should check Caligula_ post from 01/01

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?show ... 417&page=2

It is just awesome, but pretty demanding.

Post subject: Re: VR support for VP
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:44 pm 

Thanks Ronald !
I'll wait until the bugs are ironed out but sounds promising !

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:44 pm 

Thanks Ronald !
I'll wait until the bugs are ironed out but sounds promising !

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:11 pm 

Not sure, if there are even bugs Bob. VP isnt easy to handle. You need the right Rom version and an additional file pack for the backglass. I have some performance issues on VPVR, but overall it is pretty good. You could please check it and tell me your opinion? Funhouse worked ok here, just have to get a better framerate.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:21 pm 

Do they create tables with 3D? It seems like VR would be a problem with VP if you don't have 3D. ...Or else do you just not have any ability to move around in VR?

George

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:30 pm 

I have no idea how this working, but the 3D is pretty impressive. And their is even room tracking, you can move around the table. You see that there are no feet on the table and there is no coin door, lockbar and so on. It really looks good. There are some little light issues though.

FPs flipper physics can compete now, but the ball still seem to float around on FP. This is where I like VP a lot. Not sure if the ball is 3D on VP, I didnt recognize ball rotation. But the ball moves around like in reality. The ball speed variation is just awesome.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:39 pm 

I guess I will have to try it sometime. I haven't played a VP table in years. I started out with VP. I changed over to FP because the graphics were better and the tables appear in 3D.

George

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:14 pm 

You really should try this, George. Man, the AfM play fantastic. There is still a lot of work (backglass, game room, light system). But overall this is already really close to real pinball. VPVR has the potential to be everything we are dreaming about here...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:54 am 

Just made it small tutorial, if you anyone is interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... vr_pinsim/

Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:23 pm 

The reason why certain VPX tables look "stunning" (like G5K, flupper tables), is because they are using pre-baked rendering for lighting / shadows / textures. The time and skill to make it look like this comes from pros (which those guys are). This can also be done in FP as well if someone wanted to do so. That said... for me I can still see a huge difference between bam hardware per-pixel lighting vs vpx faked lighting.

I was one of the first to test VPVR way back.

Today it is certainly much better than it was back then. The issue with VP is that it uses DX9 still, many elements are static still even with VPX....and the rendered lighting is just no where in the same league compared to BAM mostly (except for image / inserts lights... FP sucks there compared to VPX big time).

If I had to compare to the FP BAM OpenVR experience.... there is no comparison. FP BAM Open VR looks so much better in almost every way. A table updated to modern BAM standards completely blows VPVR or even FX2VR away in my opinion.

The big problem with VPVR is the lack of real lighting. The fake lighting limitations and rendering really shows. That's why G5K tables look particularly good because it's faking everything to look good instead of having VPX do any of the lighting,etc.

That said, its still remarkable what they have done with VPVR. They had to change the engine to work in OpenGL (probably using wrappers of some sort) and they had to forcibly change some elements from 2d to 3d to make it work.

One thing I was VERY surprised at was their ability to get pup-packs working in VR! It is "slow" and very demanding (VPVR has poor performance compared to FP VR)... but it was neat playing tables with my pup-pack showing as a backglass!

Board index » Others Pinball Simulations » Visual Pinball