Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:48 pm 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
TerryRed: Yes, they are super paranoid about licencing. They can't afford to ruin the relationship they have with these mega companies. There's even a rule in the game itself about turning off the licensed music for Star Wars when producing any videos on YouTube.

Music replacement is a big deal these days. I think I started it all with The Addams Family mod many years ago, which inspired the guys at PinSound to start doing it with real machines. Music is so important to any game, especially movie themed games, you've got to have the right music, otherwise it's just....meh.

GeorgeH: Good to know your set of skills. Bug finding and reporting is always important, I always miss something!

FP changes? Something I would like to update are the playfield lights, make them LEDs so they can change to any colour. And a realistic way of creating ball rolling sounds by tracking the ball speed. I've created my own version of ball rolling which is enough to convince most people, but if there's a better way, I'd like someone to figure it out.

Also the flairs on transparent bumper lights and flashers, they show through everything, even when they're behind solid objects. Annoying.

Models, I need models! Lots of models! Anyone out there have any decent modelling skills? I can do it but it takes forever and the end result isn't that great. We need the talents of Polygame, GLXB and Rom, to mention a few.

Yah..not sure how possible it would be to get RGB playfiled lights working on FP without a crazy amount of custom scripting and control.

Yes, those flares can be are a bit annoying when they pop through things...but sadly sometimes they are needed for playfield lights in order to get something visiable for ligths if you turn down BAM's global lighting.

Yah... for SSF on VP... the way the ball rolling works is there's a Timer that will cause a check every 1 sec for the position of the ball. I think it knows if it's on the main playfield somehow and that's how they determine if a "rolling" sound is needed.... and maybe speed is used for "what" rolliing sound will play out of like 10 different speed sounds, etc. The guy who implemented it (cool smart guy) said that should be doable somehow with FP.

Works VERY nicely in SSF (in VP) because you can both hear and FEEL "where" the ball is under your playfield screen in a cab.

I can only recreate that in FP with PuP SSF using positional triggers on the table. When the trigger goes off, I can tell pup "play this sound at this x an y position". That works well enough for the standard mech sounds...or rails and ramps because they stay in the same position...but a real-time ball rolling check for position and speed... not sure if BAM or FP can do something like that?

I added "basic" PuP SSF to your Tron Stern Ultimate...and it sounds cool...but ball rolling would only be doable that way if I added "ball rolling" triggers all over the playfield. It's possible...just not sure if it;s crazy.

Oh, SLAM...do you build tables to fit within the FP "object limit" still? I don't think that is an issue anymore as even with the original FP.exe....tables with exceeded numbers of objects till load and play fine.

Last edited by TerryRed on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:49 pm 

Gimli wrote:
You can change light colours using Bam texture swapping code
viewtopic.php?nomobile=f=55&t=6587&p=85592#p85592

There is a ball sound tracker by smoke too !!
It works just as you say
:)
viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=86&t=6580&p=85630&hilit=Rolling#p85630

Based on my last post... I wonder if that could be used for SSF somehow... I gotta do some reading...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:01 pm 

It is awesome getting Slam up to date on Ravs innovations ! I remember when Steve came back for a season, I remarked the priveledge was like taking Galileo on a moon walk lol

Same thing here it is like taking the Wright brothers for a spin in a rocket ship....he he

Welcome back SLAM !

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 pm 

Gimli: Thanks for those links, I'll take a look. And it's good to be back. So much has changed since I've been away, on my end too. I never stopped working on and developing new ideas for Future Pinball games. Even when I was working full time for Heighway Pinball, I was coming up with great ideas for new games, which I hoped would be made into real pinball machines one day. Sadly, that didn't happen and I can't wait around forever, so they're going into my Future Pinball projects.

TerryRed: I never go over the 800 object limit anyway, even on my most complex builds. I'm using the modified FP exe file, the one with the logo removed during play which had the limit increased. If anyone wants that horrible Future Pinball logo removed from the bottom right of the screen. I have the file.

Ball rolling is tricky, I've come up with my own idea which you're all about to experience with Jaws, using opto triggers. VP sounds ok and I like the impact sound when the ball hits the flippers. I can replicate that fx but it's hit and miss. Needs refinement. But I have to say Zen has nailed ball rolling fx so far. But you don't pay attention to the ball rolling sounds on a real machine, so it's not the end of the world if we can't get there.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:07 pm 

The ball rolling link has a downloadable table and it is just a matter of pasting the code and importing the sounds...download/file.php?id=7252

It uses Bam ball tracking and adjust the sounds accordingly..
I think Smoke included a readme text explains it

I just tried it and I think it is very realistic !

I didn't mean you weren't inventing great new stuff too...I am just happy to show you some easy BAM tricks...and we haven't had many great Table makers like yourself try them yet...
:)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:44 pm 

Thanks, just what I needed. Much better than my feeble attempt. It's going in my games.

Thank you Smoke :)

Now who's gonna figure out the ball impact sound effect on the flipper using BAM? A challenge!

Can I just request stuff and you (much smarter) guys just figure it out?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:49 pm 

Here is Ravarcade's "SetTextureDemo" table:
With keys X,C,V you can change between 3 colors: red, blue, white. On table are all object-types capable to change texture. except "TOYS" which are also texture swappable :D
http:\\www.ravarcade.pl/beta/SetTextureDemo.fpt

Try this demo table slam...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:53 pm 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
Thanks, just what I needed. Much better than my feeble attempt. It's going in my games.

Thank you Smoke :)

Now who's gonna figure out the ball impact sound effect on the flipper using BAM? A challenge!

Can I just request stuff and you (much smarter) guys just figure it out?

I suspect that is quite doable as we are already assigning a variable bounce , so we could just assign a variable sound intensity proportionate to the bounce somehow....

Quote:
Also the flairs on transparent bumper lights and flashers, they show through everything, even when they're behind solid objects. Annoying.

I have this ridiculous little habit of solving all of life's problems with BAM's Miniplayfield
mode...

Anyways I bet I could create a grid of flashers the way you want them ordered....
and place them adjacent to the table...then grab them as a "miniplayfield" and superimpose them ....actually "infraimpose" beneath other objects at any depth ...
and this might shield the glare...maybe ?

Addendum: tried and it works...I think...
Gotta make my wife pizza
I'll look at it tomorrow..

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:46 pm 

That texture swap feature is interesting. It doesn't work with the lights though, only the light texture is changed not the flair colour. But it does have some creative potential.

For the LED lighting: What I need is something in the script that can access or talk to the options in the editor which sets the light colour and switch to any RGB colour. I can switch the lights on/off and change the blink speed in the script, these options also in the editor. It must be a simple line of code or something, like changing the colour of the ball. I would guess something like Light1.State = BulbOn, 255, 0, 0.

I'll leave the flipper bounce fx and flasher flair in your capable hands.

One more thing (before I go to bed....2.39 am here), is it possible to activate reflections on upper playfields? I can only get reflections to work on the playfield level, nothing else. And I have to fake the backglass reflection because the setting for it in FP video options doesn't work. Any fix for that?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:02 pm 

Not sure... probably Rav would know

I think Wecoc had a variable light colour trick...
viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=55&t=5460&hilit=Lights

Can't remember his method but there is demo table

I think the flipper hit sound is doable within smokes code...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner