Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Others Pinball Simulations » Pinball Arcade

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC version of Pinball Arcade now on Steam
 Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:55 pm 

pinwolf wrote:
How are the physics compared to Future Pinball (2.5 Physics) or Pro Pinball (BRUSA and FJ)?

They are the best I have ever played. If you want detail on how they do it, there is a making of video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZdO1kTFjK0

They vigorous test every ramp and bumper so that it matches the real tables in their office. If you want to know specifically about the physics, skip to the 10 minute mark, but I enjoyed watching the whole thing.

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:05 pm 

Greatest news to this community! As it will help us get "alternative versions" and/or "completed 3D versions" of some tables we might be missing in FP:
eg. Tales of the Arabian Nights
Theater of Magic
Cactus Canyon
Black Hole
Cirqus Voltair
Monster Bash (Williams 1998).

The exact date of when it will be out on Steam is still unknown, but hopefully in 6 months we'll have access to all pinball choices on our PC!
But of course, most of us (including myself) will still always prefer FP!:)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:03 am 

Release next month!!! :D:D:D:D:D::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ive read their news mail in my mail two weeks ago and they wrote it coming!!! WHOOOHOOHOO!!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:27 pm 

rooter wrote:
pinwolf wrote:
How are the physics compared to Future Pinball (2.5 Physics) or Pro Pinball (BRUSA and FJ)?

They are the best I have ever played. If you want detail on how they do it, there is a making of video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZdO1kTFjK0

They vigorous test every ramp and bumper so that it matches the real tables in their office. If you want to know specifically about the physics, skip to the 10 minute mark, but I enjoyed watching the whole thing.

it's absolutely true, the physics engine is amazing! although i think the ball is sometimes scripted (and takes over from the physics engine) ... but, clearly, it's the best engine.
graphically, by cons, i think they can do much better ... This does not prevent me to have ALL already out pack ... :D

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:24 am 

After a very long wait, the Pinball Arcade PC beta is finally out... and I'm enjoying it.

As Farsight had indicated previously, there is no portrait support as of yet, so Cab fans will need to be patient, as there will be no way to play this on a cab prior to a probable post-release patch for cab users.

Comments: So far, pretty good. Although there is still work to be done, I'm still very impressed and happy the PC version is finally a reality.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:31 am 

screenshots!!! :)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:37 am 

The Loafer wrote:
As Farsight had indicated previously, there is no portrait support as of yet, so Cab fans will need to be patient, as there will be no way to play this on a cab prior to a probable post-release patch for cab users.

interesting that they didn't make it a priority since so many asked them for it.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:46 am 

Hyperion wrote:
The Loafer wrote:

interesting that they didn't make it a priority since so many asked them for it.

not surprised though... most companies these days will say whatever they need to get people interested but out of the gate most of the times they fail to deliver. Look how long it took Zen to get proper portrait and key mapping. Farsight will do the most cost feasible thing first to get the PC build out the door and then spend time on it only if they see returns. These are my own opinions but more and more these days I see this sort of trend.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:35 am 

no interest here until portrait mode.

Damn! not asking for rom support or DMD compliance or even backglass on a second screen...just a camera preset..you can make this in what?? ...15 minutes?!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:17 am 

Actually... no, according to a Farsight rep, it takes more than 15 minutes, due to windows being a tad different than the other OS' they support. We have to remember part of their rendering engine is multi-platform based, which helps in porting their tables between OS'.

There are a few things to remember:
- as stated, this is a beta so who's to say there won't be portrait mode before release? One of the Farsight programmers has stated the portrait mode has to be set up for EACH of the tables, and that's what, 34 tables I think released so far? I believe he's said they've got 12 done or so and still working on it. That was a week ago.

- On that, I think it makes sense to not have portrait support unless all tables can support it. Can you imagine the comments if only table x, y and z supported it and not tables a, b and c?

- Dealing with the steam SDK has brought its own challenges to how everything is tied together, so they're playing a bit of catchup on this since they could not get their hands on the SDK until they finally got approved.

- The decision to prioritize to the masses makes sense. I don't think they spoon fed anything, I do believe they will have a portrait mode, if not at launch very close to launch.

Good points made though I don't thnik its a 15 minute job, I do think its more because of their multiplatform support. For example, their primary OS for development has been the xbox 360, which of course has no portrait support. This is ironic since because of the bankrupcy of their publisher on the 360, hardly any tables have been released for it! LOL

However, they have said that now that they are on Steam, the PC/steam will be the primary OS for development. So hopefully things will kick into gear :). However Open, you make a great point, if the sales of their steam release tank, there's no doubt that could remove any priority on this, however I truly believe that's for full cab support, for the windows steam version, too many people just like to flip their monitors so IMHO they will offer portrait view sooner rather than later.

Rob

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Board index » Others Pinball Simulations » Pinball Arcade