Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post subject: Need some help with table scaling.
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:35 am 

Im setting up a cabinet with a 43inch playfield tv. While making myself familiar with the BAM settings, I was able to adjust and scale the table anyway I wanted, yet it didnt look as good as some others i have seen online. Can anyone share their camera positions, translation and scale numbers? I know a lot of these are owners preferred look, but im just trying to get the angels and everything in a ballpark setting and go from there. Im working ACDC table so if you could share that info, it would be awesome.

Thanks again. This site is awesome as I have learned a ton over the past couple weeks.

Post subject: Re: Need some help with table scaling.
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:46 pm 

Sound like you know how to use BAM to scale the table.
Have you selected "Static Mode" too ?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:02 pm 

Gimli wrote:
Sound like you know how to use BAM to scale the table.
Have you selected "Static Mode" too ?

No i did not. Should the tables be in static as well? What does that actually do? I did see that setting.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 pm 

I find "Static Mode" gives a better perspective than "Future Pinball Mode"
and also if you Choose "new Renderer" it will make everything , especially lighting appear more realistic. ( Although you do require a faster system for this)

Your current chosen settings on a given table are automatically saved , and if you select
"Set a default" then these will be used on all tables that haven't been set up yet...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:51 pm 

Thank you very much. I will try this asap. My system is pretty good but a new video card is coming to make sure it can run all my monitors and such. I really do appreciate it!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:54 pm 

I like the Static Cam menu the best as Gimli said.

You will also want to open the "Lights" menu and change the lighting to "New Renderer" as Gimli said. It is the best light system and some of the new features of BAM only work with it. There are presets there that you can set. I prefer "Day" myself.

There is an option called "PostFX" that you might want to try to see if you like it. Go to Config>Plugins>PostFX and change enable to yes.

The other guys may not agree but I prefer to set scaling of x, y and z to 1.0 and change the other parameters to make the table fit the screen. You will have to go back and forth between the first and second menu but it is possible. I think it adds artifacts if you use this scaling. You may not have any choice but to use it on some tables that are exceptionally wide.

George

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:35 pm 

Thank you George. I tried some of the settings you all suggested and it helped a lot. The one thing driving me nuts was the ball would get really big when it was at the back of the playfield and smaller as it got closer to me. I think I figured that out and all in all im pretty ok with it at this point. Im sure there will be major tweaking going forward.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:07 am 

Korun wrote:
The one thing driving me nuts was the ball would get really big when it was at the back of the playfield and smaller as it got closer to me..

I think if you change the table angle to a negative number in BAM it should fix that.

The table angle in BAM does not effect physics, it is visual only

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:09 pm 

Great, that is what i did to fix it. It was really strange and I kept watching videos of others tables and they didnt have that issue so I was about ready to lose it lol. You all here, are the best and extremely helpful!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:27 pm 

Sorry for the long post but just want to share this to help anyone out that's just starting out.

So after much tinkering here's what I got that works for me on my set up that gives a good view of the playfield plus depth and maintains the ball size throughout. Some options may need to be tweaked for your liking and again this is still in a test environment since I don't have my cab up yet but i've got my screens on a table. I still did reality settings as you should as well.

This is for a 27" monitor, 1080p.

Static Cam:

Camera Position:

x-0.00
y-2500
z-1000

The above can be adjusted slightly if you decide to measure out and use the camera real world settings. I tested out doing measurements and the Z dropped to about 972 using the measurement of real world setting however those are a good starting point IMO as they give a good overhead view but not a complete top down view. Again this is for a 27" field. Bigger screens will probably need more adjustment.

Table and Lighting

Table translation:

x-0
y-varies but for me around 13-15
z-0

The translation will depend on your scale. Some like keeping scale settings at 1 all the way around but I usually change the X/Y scale to fit my whole screen. Depending on the table your Y scale will vary more if you want to see more of the table's "backwall". I also like having the instruction cards on the digital playfield as well. If you want to hide that then you would need to adjust your translation higher then what i suggest.

Z scale I start @ 1 then continue to adjust depending on the amount of toys on the playfield and how tall or short I want them to look but I don't go past 1.2 as then they become too skewed IMO.

again this is for how i like to see the screen, if you prefer to leave X/Y scales @ 1 and adjust Z translation instead you can do that too.

Table Rotation

Angle - 0

I leave this @ zero for 99% of my tables because I feel this helps view a cabinet @ the correct aspect and use all of the screen. I've only changed it on older EM tables like Hocus Pokus. Greywolf tables are amazing and I feel just for those I angle them at 5-7 degrees and in doing so make other table adjustments to occupy most of the screen.

Lighting:

I use New Render as it works best. For light source I was locking it prior but I've experimented and no use the following:

x-0
y-250
z-250

I like darker tables/night versions but sometimes I will leave at default. It just really depends on how bright the table is and also what kind of monitor you use and what your monitor settings are and preference. I use "scenery mode" on my asus so i get vibrant colors and good contrast. If I use something other than default i tend to go with Darker Night and make the following adjustments based on Slamt1lt's suggestions:

Light source Params:

size - 1.00
diffuse - 0.5-0.75 depends on how dark you want, his suggestion was 0.3
Specular - 1.00 sometimes I use 0.75 but overall 1.00
Ambient - 0.055

I don't mess with any other lighting options here.

I then go to Postprocess to make some further Contrast and brightness changes to improve the night feel. For contrast I adjust to 1.075 as an overall enhancement then adjust up depending on the table. For brightness i might do 0.025 but again these adjustments are personal taste depending on your monitor.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone :)

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner