Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: BAM Dynamic Flipper Breakthrough !!
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:52 pm 

blue wrote:
@Rav
- Is it possible to have a scriptable command for setting the start angle and the swing as in the editor? ...

Not possible. I tried to do this few moths ago. When table is loaded special physics objects are created to restrict flipper moves (min and max angle posible) and i don't know how to modify that objects.

btw.
If someone still try to use normal/height maps with BAM i have found nice free powerfull tool. Just look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtnJToPxBNo

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:26 pm 

Cool Rav,
Hopefully drakko91 is still working on his table, he was enquiring about normal maps.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:32 pm 

Wow,

Materialize looks cool. Hard to believe it is free. I don't know about normal/height maps in BAM. Where do you discuss it? It would be nice to use this tool to create a model (or is that possible?). I guess I am getting old. It takes forever for me to figure out how to do this new stuff.

George

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:17 pm 

@ Rav - Thanks, I thought so. a idea did occur to me though, so I will give it a shot next time, but may not work the way I would want, and it's a very goofy idea on top of it.
Is it possible for you to do a master list of all the BAM script commands? We are losing track of it all, and there are some stuff I never knew about that I just learned about now.

@ gimli - actually, your settings are fine for modern Stern games. I have a Iron Man in my area, and it's all bouncy as all get out. hate the Sterns personally, but a lot of newer users that's all they play, so I will keep your settings in the work table, and just relabel them "Stern Pinball" from "BamTeam"
my JG settings are closer to wpc era, less bounce (should be 7.5 not 8) so I think I should have several XML's labeled by era 9i.e. EM, Solid_State, System4x (williams started to use a larger coil) , Lightning, System 11, wpc,Stern

@ george - your not the only one that feels old with all this new stuff.

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: fpxEngine

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:03 am 

Blue,

I think most of the BAM script commands are described in these 3 locations:

Gimli's Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=6587

Written by several of us:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=6569

Then there is a kind of Q&A guide here:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=6583

George

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:19 am 

Yeap, and they are scattered in tons of pages as well. I have very limited internet access, so it's very hard for me to access these pages as reference, let alone spend minutes/hours just trying to find that one piece of code. That's why I asked for a simple text based file that lists all of them and a brief explanation, exactly like vpx does.

The other thing is we still don't know ALL of the commands, or how to use them (Like the Flipper.hit) because no sample code was included. We really need a setup where everything is in one place, vp has several, but there's nothing for FP.

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: fpxEngine

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:13 am 

I wonder if Rav has a list
Of xBAM codes that we can itemize...

I intend to update my guide with dynamic flipper stuff in the New Year and also BAM camera
scripting
which is very easy to do....

Last edited by Gimli on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:46 am 

hey guys!

First, amazing work on the dynamic flipper code. You've totally transformed how Future Pinball plays now. The flipper inaccuracy was the last hurdle that FP needed to jump to make it as a viable pinball simulation, instead of the joke it's been since launch.

It's been tough love over the past 10 years, but I knew FP always had enormous potential so I stuck with it. I'm glad that others had the same feeling I had.

Only now, with the physics and flippers working as good as any other simulation out there, do I feel it's time to come back and share my work.

I have the dynamic flipper code in all my games now - the latest update with the improved flipper bounce. It's not perfect, but no other simulation is perfect either. It's impossible to recreate real world physics perfectly, but for a video game, it's pretty damn good so far.

I have to make some changes to my games before I release them, I developed them for the old flippers so lane and ramp entrances were widened to accommodated the 'hit and hope' accuracy. Now, those same shots are makable and too easy. Not a problem though and an easy fix.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:17 pm 

Hey thanks SLAM !
Glad to have you back on the scene !

I am sure you will , but please go ahead and remove any of the debug stuff from that code and clean it up and obviously tweak it as you see fit..

As you likely have gathered blue is working an a comprehensive copy and paste template, whereby the table author can choose to test and monitor physics stuff as a guide for tweaking dynamic flippers and dynamic table events

From this a scaled down copy and play template can be generated for people to paste and play.

I think of these as recipes that are open to the users preferences. So it will be neat to see
which blend you will prefer over time and how this all evolves.

Cheers Mate !

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:10 pm 

blue wrote:

- Multi BAM XML support. Very simple way actually, I know you can do that in BAM, but there is no way to know what it is and takes too long to find the proper one anyway. The next idea is to rewrite it so people can input numbers for things like base_elasticCoef, as a lot of that bounce code is exactly the same anyway.

Looks good Blue, the example you gave just had prehit for one flipper

blue wrote:
- I put in all of Gimli's code, folded in some of mine, and restructured it. This is a work table for physics/bounce control and other things, so down the road, have it available and adjustable while playing, and hopefully can have it generate a text file in script code.

- The script is structure so the section you need can be copied and pasted. All the main physics stuff will be variables, the script is partially set to write those variables in textdebug, so you would need to copy and paste them with the control script. Maybe I can write the code so that it generates the entire script needed for the physics into a text file, but FP is so flaky about those things. The sub routines have been recoded so the main physics variables can be in one place. If you like a tables settings that use this format, you can add the flipper/bounce physics quite easily.

Looks nice and tidy , I like it !!
I just tried copying my recent template into the stock "new Table" at definitly bounces too fast it that scenario...so I think the underlying xml mix is also very important.

blue wrote:
- Figured out a way for the script to recognize a flipper hit, and when the ball leaves the flipper. It writes the info into DebugText, just a bug in releasing the code after it writes to the file. I was too tired to fix it yesterday (was up till 3) but first thing next time. It's not a elegant solution, but it works so far. bounce physics variables though do not show their values no matter what, but maybe I will come up with a work around. I have both flippers, and ball info based on the partial list gimli posted, but without a explanation or a actual list of scriptable commands, it makes it a bit tough to improve.

Cool !

blue wrote:
- Everything is displayed in real time in a group of DMD displays. It's very clunky, but again, that is a FP thing because of the lack of support for some things. Simple MsgBoxes give FP fits for example. No excuse for that
Anyway, a lot of my VP code, even though it was written in VBScript 15 years ago, won't work.

Do you really have to add > 21 Dmd's for this or am I misunderstanding the code
HudDMD1 , HudDMD10, HudDmd21 ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner