Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shadows on playfield.
 Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:00 pm 

very impressive!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:09 pm 

delete

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:01 pm 

ok,I ask gimli, and why not, also to george......to understand(I,for first) and make understand, for those who want to participate, what I would like to understand, I know it's a game of words ..... I'll explain better, asking questions,in several steps....

first step.....
1)what is the shadow maps?
2)on what applies?
3)what features it takes in the table?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:08 pm 

On Star Trek ULTIMATE Pro 1.02, the most obvious effects are the shadows from the slingshots. The light shines from the GI bulbs under the slingshots and is blocked by posts that support the top of the slingshots so it casts shadows onto the playfield. The table developer adds shadow maps to selected bulbs and BAM calculates the shadows.

There are some old tables where the table developer drew the shadows onto the playfield texture. I never thought this was very desirable because it permanently changes the texture so the end user cannot adjust it. I think this provides a better option because the end user can adjust it.

The shadows change with the setting of the lighting in BAM. The "Dark Night" setting makes the shadows very prominent and less prominent on "Night". You can't see shadows at all on "Bright Day". On "Day", shadows may be slightly visible or not visible at all. The idea is to replicate the ambient light conditions on a real pinball table. If a real table is surrounded by bright lights, you won't see shadows from any illumination on the table. If the table is in a darkened room, you would more shadows from the bulbs on the table.

If you want to see shadow maps. it basically requires the end user to set up the lighting on BAM to one of the night settings and use "New Renderer".

This is pretty general but is everything I know about it at the moment.

If you want to know how to do it, I don't have a clue. I have been studying Star Trek but can't figure it out. I have been trying to add shadow maps to Phantom of the Opera but I am about to give up. When I add a shadow map, the whole table goes dark and I can't figure out why. There must be something about the table that needs to be changed and I can't figure it out.

George

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:14 pm 

ok, this is the technical part, and theoretical shadow maps, according to george......after seeing the star trek table.

I have also said something in the topic of star trek, but this I want to review last.

question......

1)You saw how many shadows he mapped?
2)you could tell what the author is and where he used it?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:25 pm 

meanwhile, as rav, explained, you can override the loading of maps, in the cache, useful for the end user, and for those who have had problems crashing, just save the maps loaded in bam (when you click add new shadowmap) when have loaded your maps save them in TGA, now you have all your maps in a single TGA file, then load it in PF, in texture manager, you'll see that when you open the table, it will pass the loading of the maps, thanks a thousand rav :D

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:11 pm 

ok,to finalize the construction of a table, using the shadow maps, it must be said that you need to have a playfield specially designed, (I refer to texture) on a dark playfield, like my TR, does not work well, but with particular "flash" , you can create a nice effect.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:46 am 

I haven't responded Paolo, as shadows don't work at all on my office computers that have integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics..the maps show as black squares and no shadow is seen at all.
My home system works as I described before ...and I haven't tested it with recent BAM.

It could be that some people will require the TGA files included in the download of each table if their graphics card can't generate them?

I updated to Directx 11 and that made no difference

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:47 pm 

Gimli wrote:
I haven't responded Paolo, as shadows don't work at all on my office computers that have integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics..the maps show as black squares and no shadow is seen at all.
My home system works as I described before ...and I haven't tested it with recent BAM.

It could be that some people will require the TGA files included in the download of each table if their graphics card can't generate them?

I updated to Directx 11 and that made no difference

maybe if you try the latest version of bam, you will have improvements...as I had them.

the tga file....(created before) you can load directly into FP, in texture manager, so you solve the problem of loading the maps, I have done so......is work.

logically, if you change the name of the table, you must also change the file name,re-doing it again....delete the first one, and put the new one, always in fp, texture manager.

your office pc... crashes as soon as you try to add a map?in menu shadow map...adde new shadow? right?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:26 pm 

No on my office PC's even with the new bam...it doesn't crash . it just doesn't create a shadow map...just a solid black square

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner