Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: BAM - OpenVR (oculus / vive) beta
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:33 pm 

also found the shake effect in Jurassic Park for the bumpers and T-rex, and I'm trying the following changes in the script to fix
so far it seems to be better but still seems to cause a very quick dip in framerate but its playable now. bit out of my element so there might be an easier way

ShakethePF.Set True, 50
Changed to
ShakethePF.Set false, 50

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:55 pm 

Video looks amazing Bloodydrake!

Rav, I just played a bunch of games, on my DK1 with SDK .8

it works really well but I have to keep recentrring with F12 as it keeps drifting
Is there a way to stop the rift drift?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:42 am 

Quote:
Now i feel like an idiot.

I decide to play a game in VR Theatre, and was extremely happy to accidentally look down and see live recentre, shape and size buttons that you activate with the dpad and select by looking at them.

Even a 3 second count down before the recentre occurs.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/di ... 050512480/

It seems DK1 has drift problems because of lack of positional tracking,
So VR theatre has an automatic "live recenter " that happens every 3 secs

can this function be added for us lowly DK1ers?

also, I notice that the F12 recenter adjusts both "left-right" and "up-down" planes based on my head position when I press F12
Is there a way to have F12 only correct "left-right"?
(Otherwise , the table bobs around a lot with each F12 press)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:59 pm 

Probably not worth the effort.
but seeing as Bam can already use kinect, how feasible is it to get positional data from kinect "skeleton" to use with DK1 ?

Quote:
The other thing that I have been working on which is unfinished is automatic drift correction using the Kinect. Besides being able to lean forward and move around a little I'm sure another main function of the IR markers is to get rid of all of the Oculus Drift problems. The setup I have been working on with the dk1 is to track the users head with the Kinect while they have the Rift on and then (since the dk1 has a perfectly flat front surface) isolate the part of the face where the Rift is and use those Kinect Depth cloud points to measure the angular rotation of the head and compare it to the original angular output when we know everything was lined up....and then slowly correct the drifting that occurs so that it is not noticeable to the user. You would only take a comparison sample when the rift is detected as being pretty much perfectly orientated on that particular axis (left to right head rotation) and then compare those in 3d space.

https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussio ... ith-kinect

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:15 pm 

Gimli wrote:
It seems DK1 has drift problems because of lack of positional tracking,
So VR theatre has an automatic "live recenter " that happens every 3 secs

can this function be added for us lowly DK1ers?

also, I notice that the F12 recenter adjusts both "left-right" and "up-down" planes based on my head position when I press F12
Is there a way to have F12 only correct "left-right"?
(Otherwise , the table bobs around a lot with each F12 press)

That is not so easy.
"Recentering" is done in OpenVR-api. I call just api funtion.
After few test it apears that it works fine with HTC VIVE, Oculus DK2 on SDK 0.8 but not work on Oculus DK1 with Oculus Home (SDK 1.3).
So i have added my own "recentering" math. It is called right after i call OpenVR-api to recenter.
I'm 100% that both ways can change only position and head horizontal rotation (Yaw). Head rotation on two othere axis (pitch,roll) is not changed.
So, if something is wrong with head pitch/roll it is hard for me to control it.

Using Kinect for position tracking will not work. Kinect need a lot of cpu time and it will be extremly hard render everything on time. Also Kinect is not in sync with head tracking. It will result in motion-sickness.

----
Here is "test" verions of openvr.dll with locked head position:
http:www.ravarcade.pl/debug/OpenVR.dll
Please try it. It will create "debug.log" in BAM\plugins dir. Please send me that file.
I will store in it HMD-driver-name. I plan to use that to detect if DK1 is used and disable position tracking.

Right now my desktop computer is not ready for test with VR, so i did not test this OpenVR.dll. It may not work, but anyway "debug.log" will be usefull for me.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:00 pm 

Thanks for the reply Rav !

Quote:
I'm 100% that both ways can change only position and head horizontal rotation (Yaw). Head rotation on two other axis (pitch,roll) is not changed.
So, if something is wrong with head pitch/roll it is hard for me to control it.

The drift seems to be left-right (Yaw)
But I can change table elevation by looking up and pressing F12 or looking down and pressing F12 . So I believe your centering algorithm changes both Yaw and Pitch

So the Centering math seems to centre on where I am looking and not some predefined
location of what "centre" actually is....

Quote:
Using Kinect for position tracking will not work. Kinect need a lot of cpu time and it will be extremly hard render everything on time. Also Kinect is not in sync with head tracking. It will result in motion-sickness.

I don't know if the guy in the above link, found this or not.
I wonder if kinect can be used episodically (every couple of seconds or whatever) just to give position parameters for autocentring, not to be used and synced on a continuous basis?

----
Quote:
Here is "test" verions of openvr.dll with locked head position:
http:www.ravarcade.pl/debug/OpenVR.dll
Please try it. It will create "debug.log" in BAM\plugins dir. Please send me that file.
I will store in it HMD-driver-name. I plan to use that to detect if DK1 is used and disable position tracking.

Right now my desktop computer is not ready for test with VR, so i did not test this OpenVR.dll. It may not work, but anyway "debug.log" will be usefull for me.

Awesome !! I'll try to do this soon. Thanks !

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:34 am 

I'm curious is BAM OpenVR more CPU or GPU bound?

just asking cuz I find alot of the ultimate tables I"m getting re projection on which in pinball just doesn't work the effect of your ball having a ghost image following it really hurts the eyes.

I have an i7 2600k @ 4.5 and a GTX 970
I'm wondering if my older series CPU is the issue or if getting a 1070 would be a better investment when they're available.?

Besides that I need to start looking at what features on tables seem to cause the most frame rate hit...its weird.
Lotro and Addams family ultimate have no issue but some other less dense or active tables seem worse.

Anways its all been a hoot I'm playing FP on my Vive now more then anything else hehe
when NewRetro Arcade Neon Hits Steam on 27th.. its gonna be amazing for arcade fans Virtual Pinball and Arcade Cabinets..what could be better

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:41 am 

Quote:

just asking cuz I find alot of the ultimate tables I"m getting re projection on which in pinball just doesn't work the effect of your ball having a ghost image following it really hurts the eyes.

GPU/CPU not sure
I just updated my GPU on my measely
i5 3.2 slim Optiplex from nvidia GT610 to GTX 750 Ti and it made a huge difference

In nvidia control panel you can set default physics processor (automatic/GPU/CPU)
In Future Pinball Video/Rendering settings box under rendering quality you can experiment as well (uncheck anistropic filtering and lower AA value)

Also I haven't tested this yet but under future pinball video settings try setting display1 to a lower resolution as this sends graphics to your primary display not your headset I believe, so if thats the case no need to waste energy on display you arent seeing

I can't recall whether the following options are available in BAM-OpenVR or not:
In BAM menu try new renderer for lights and post processing

With respect to ball appearance, BAM has an option at the bottom Add-ons to increase
ball brightness

and in Post process menu I believe under Draw mode (Enabled, Disabled, compatibility)
will also change appearance of things including ball

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:00 pm 

Gimli wrote:
The drift seems to be left-right (Yaw)
But I can change table elevation by looking up and pressing F12 or looking down and pressing F12 . So I believe your centering algorithm changes both Yaw and Pitch

So the Centering math seems to centre on where I am looking and not some predefined
location of what "centre" actually is....

Nop. It works correct. When you rotate head (for example up/down) rotation orgin point is not "eyes". It is neck. So when you look up, eyes are litte bit higher. When down, eyes are tittle lower. Now when you press center/home button that little shift up/down is added.

Quote:
I wonder if kinect can be used episodically (every couple of seconds or whatever) ...

Bad idea. Tracking uses less cpu time if it is permanently. So if i skip few frames, processing of next frame will take longer and i may lost tracked player (it may switch to someone else in room).

bloodydrake wrote:

It is CPU bound and you already have one of fastest CPUs.
FP engine is super old. How fast it works depend mostyl on how fast gfx card driver process commands. Visual efects depends on drawning order and there is a lot of things drawed "from hand", without any data preparations. This creates a lot of "locks" on GPU: graphics card have to wait for new data from CPU. So in short it is very ineffective engine.

On my rig (i5-2500, gtx 970) to use HTC Vive i have to:
- in BAM i can't use New Renderer. It need ~15% cpu time and it cause frame drops
- disable in FP rendering options: flares, sometime table reflections

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:32 pm 

Quote:
Nope. It works correct. When you rotate head (for example up/down) rotation orgin point is not "eyes". It is neck. So when you look up, eyes are litte bit higher. When down, eyes are tittle lower. Now when you press center/home button that little shift up/down is added.

Yes it works as you describe. it is gaze dependent
If I look left and press F12, it will centre as if table is to left etc

so as long as I am looking perfectly forward when I press F12, it centres it perfectly, if not then table "bounces" around a little with each press of F12

Don't worry about positional tracking for DK1 Rav.
But just to illustrate

Last edited by Gimli on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner