Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: BAM - OpenVR (oculus / vive) beta
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:37 pm 

Wanted to reply here but send a message instead. Just add: hello and best

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:46 am 

Okay, some very important discoveries (at least for me).
I have been playing with some of the new tools that BAM offers and Virtual Reality Mode
and "Miniplayfield" Mod can be used wonderfully together.

You can grab any object for the table and Scale it, Rotate, Animate etc....

I just discovered you can even do this with the DMD !!!
Very cool !!

So I was able to enlarge it to make it much more visible in VR.
If people find the DMD on their favourite table is hard to read in VR, no worries, it can
be enlarged !!!

Also, you can enlarge the movie screen too !!!

Toys that are created as "bulb" will illuminate...like the barrels in the video.

The mechanical shark , I plan on animating and moving around during the game as well...
THANKS RAVARCADE !!! :shock:
https://youtu.be/iNDfberuiDE

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:43 am 

Cool.

George

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:46 pm 

Well, seeing as I just recently got myself an Oculus Rift + Touch... of course I couldn't wait to give this a try!

To get straight to the point.... FP with BAM VR is STUNNING!

My PC is an i5 4670K 8GB DDR3 ram, nVidia GTX 1080 (8GB DDR5 RAM), Win 10.

Now if you just try this straight up without adjusting anything...it will look cool, but nowhere near as cool as it CAN get. If you have the hardware that can handle it, you can get FP in VR looking almost photorealistic (within the limitations of the VR headset you are using).

These are the big things you need to adjust.

-In SteamVR, turn off any kind of Reprojection, supersampling, etc... We want to be using raw performance. Only resort to using these AFTER you have found your PC's normal limits (FPS max, etc)

-For Oculus users, use something like Oculus Tray Tool to turn off ASW. Again we want to see the real performance of your system and see what it can handle. You can also change pixel density to 1.5 (2.0 if your system can handle it). This is basically supersampling, similar to NVidia DSR. For me changing this to 1.5 made a BIG difference in getting rid of jaggies.

-VERY IMPORTANT! turn VSYNC "OFF" for: Future Pinball.exe in NVidia Control Panel, Future Pinball's graphics settings, BAM VR's vsync settings. If you don't do this, then you may get 45 fps no matter what in BAM VR. We want a clean 90fps.

-I had all my FP's graphics at max. I only had cabinet glass and game room turned off. Yes I had everything else on and it looks stunning! The reflections, etc really make a difference! You may have to disable some things if your hardware can't keep up at this point.

-NVidia control panel: you can try to enable "transparency anti-aliasing" to supersample 2 to 8. This will be utilised only when BAM's AA is enabled. The higher BAM's AA is (2 to 8), the more this gets multiplied. This made a HUGE difference to almost completely eliminate any jaggies. I kid you not....after getting this portion setup right, the visuals looked almost photo-like. (just lower res)

If your system works good at this point, then you need to play with BAM's settings which also make a HUGE difference. Change the DMD bulb size to 2 or higher to make it easier to see. I myself CAN run with New Renderer with and all the above settings without frame drops.

I personally start with the darkest Lighting preset and then adjust the lighting from there. This really shows off the 3d models and the flasher lights beautifully! The only bummer is you realise that the "Lights" on the playfield on many tables aren't lights at all (they are just images), and they will get darker when you have darker main lighting. It's a balancing act. I wonder if they can be set to be fully luminose, to appear as lit up in the dark?

After adjusting the lighting to be darker and other settings, (and a tiny bit of bloom) and positioning the table closer to view (I prefer seated view)....

HOLY CRAP does this look amazing! I wish I could show you guys, but it really looks like someone made a REAL version of the Future Pinball table I'm playing. WOW!

Combine this with a Pinball Control panel with solenoids, shaker, fan and DOFLinx feedback and man you will be blown away.

I only recommend using ASW or similar AFTER you have established that your system is running very well. (but keep it off if you don't need it).

Amazing work Rav! Thank you!

Any chance of being able to get normal BAM to work with two (or one) Oculus sensor camera similar to what it does with 2 PS3 cameras for cabinet users?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:05 pm 

Is VR better than a pinball cabinet?

George

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:48 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
Is VR better than a pinball cabinet?

George

I knew this was coming.... :)

I would say they are different.

The biggest limiting factor to VR being the resolution. Doing my steps above is a night and day difference. I was initially bummed with how FP looked in VR at first (bad jaggies compared to other VR games)... but once I get everything all cleaned up, I LOVED IT!

VR can't manage real lighting and effects like a real cabinet can, and you have goggles strapped to your face all the time. That's assuming you can see through the lenses clearly without glasses, or does the headset accommodate that, etc...

However, nothing compares to seeing these tables in 3D like this. Though Gimli would have to chime in as to how VR compares to BAM in a cabinet with 3d glasses.

Keep in mind...this needs a good system to run like this. a GTX 1080 is the 2nd fastest card right now I do believe... and a VR headset ain't cheap either....so most people may not have that kind of cash for pinball... but then again, cabinets aren't cheap to build either!

If I was only allowed to have one (specifically for pinball) I would still prefer my cabinet is the bottom line.

Playing VR with Touch controllers in roomscale....oh that's a level of cool that one must see for themselves! It is like we are going into the matrix.... too damn cool!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:52 am 

They both are amazing 3d cabinet gives crystal clear game play while vr in a nice games room gives a more immersive experiance

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:58 am 

I use samsung vr gear and riftcat. I am awaiting delivery of nolo vr roomscale tracking and controllers...so I'll give a report when they arrive....

https://youtu.be/1ZK73UWX7ZU

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:18 pm 

https://youtu.be/b0u5QbIZhA0

Here's a video demonstrating Positional tracking with BAM OVR + Samsung Gear VR + Nolo VR (using VRidge app and Steam VR)

sorry the first few seconds are rotated and there is a little jitter, in part due to me using Fraps to record...also the recording dimensions are skewed by mirroring to monitor

anyways it gives you the idea.
It looks amazing Real time

Last edited by Gimli on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:02 pm 

Gimli,

Have to agree - it looks totally awesome... now if only my Bank Manger would approve the expense... :roll: :?

Looking forward to see what else you come up with... Please keep the videos coming - they're appreciated.

Gin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner