Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post subject: BAM Kinect v2 cabinet - wrong 3D
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:33 pm 

Hi all

I'm in the process of building a minipinball cabinet (playfield 24" and BS 17") with BAM and Kinect v2 but I've found a problem and I'm banging my head against a wall trying to figure it out what's happening:

1) First step was configuring BAM with FP (February 2018 version) and test it, with very good results, as you can see in this video (BAM good).
2) Second step was to dismantle the hardware, packaging again in their original boxes, using bubble wrap, etc... to be as careful with the hardware as possible. Once all was packed, I take them all to a carpenter in order to build the cabinet.
3) More than 1 year later, the cabinet is built and the hardware is assembled again, but now when I play a Future Pinball with BAM and Kinect v2, the awesome 3D effect has gone and now the tables look more flat and move like jelly, as you can see in this other video (BAM bad).

Giving that no configuration was modified since the first video (I double checked with another backup I have), What can be happening? After that, I started to change BAM configuration with no better results.

Any help will be much appreciated: a digital pinball is good but once you see the power of BAM+Kinect v2, it's very difficult to change.

Thanks in advance and regards.

Post subject: Re: BAM Kinect v2 cabinet - wrong 3D
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:39 pm 

is the kinect sensor working with BAM still ?

If so and you want more 3d depth, you increase the "z" scale in BAM table/lighting menu
or I believe in the "kinnect" facetracking menu in BAM
Which Face tracking option are you using in BAM. There used to be several to choose from
"Kinnect " and "kinnect desktop"

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:08 pm 

Thank you very much, Gimli. Yes, the Kinect v2 sensor works with BAM still and passed the Kinect Configuration Verifier, as well with BAM-Tracker. Also, it's configured for "Cabinet" instead of "Desktop", and facetraking is configured for "Head".

I'll give it a go again with the Z-scale lighting menu in the case I missed something; still I'm trying to understand what's wrong now, as before it was working flawlessly.

Cheers.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:41 pm 

I always found shoulder tracking better

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:02 am 

Gimli wrote:
I always found shoulder tracking better

I didn't know a Shoulder Tracking option exist. As far as I recall, I see "Head", "Right Hand" and "Left Hand" tracking. I'll check again later and look for this option; thanks again Gimli :)

Cheers.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:52 pm 

No dice :(
After passing the whole day trying several BAM configurations, Kinect v2 positions, two different Kinects v2, two PCs and three different monitors with both older BAM and latest BAM release, the 3D effect is somehow reversed at the best: while the playfield moves, the upper layer is still or moving way less than the lowers layers of the tables.
I'll re-read again all BAM guides but I don't remember configuring Kinect v2 was so difficult (in fact I remember was extremely easy: just calibration and voila!)

Cheers.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:45 pm 

I'll try to plug my Kinect 1 in again, I remember it did work better for me prior to kinnect2 implementation and shoulder tracking was an option

RAV has older versions of BAM on his site, try using a version dated around the time it last worked for you....that's what I planned on trying with Kinect 1

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:20 am 

Gimli wrote:
I'll try to plug my Kinect 1 in again, I remember it did work better for me prior to kinnect2 implementation and shoulder tracking was an option

Great, thanks Gimli :) looking forward for your results so we can compare both. Anyway, I continued with the testing in my cab and after reading again how-to's and FAQs and playing with all BAM values, I've realized the following:

- Geometry (Table&Lighting -> Table Scale) must have the same ratio (or almost the same ratio) for Y and Z; X is important too but not as much as Y and Z.
- Config -> Reality must be accurate but in my case I've found the most important option to play with is Shift-Y
- Recorded video or see the table through a phone's camera smooths and improves the effect A LOT. While recording a video I realize that, once all BAM values are correctly set, seeing the BAM Kinect v2 3D effect with my own eyes is OK but in the phone's recorded video the effect is way better (in fact is as good as my first video and have very similar quality effect as Rafal's Youtube videos.

After that, now I think I can reconfigure again BAM to be as good as the first time I did the setup. I still don't know what happened to the original working configuration but at least I can reconfigure it again.

Cheers.

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner