Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post subject: Would like to hide the static movie clip image
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:28 pm 

Hi everyone,

I have a cabinet I'm editing SLAMS new tables he released. Some only have movie clips on the playfield so I moved them to the backglass using the "render to translite" option.

It works perfectly except that there is a static image when a movie is not playing (Flash Gordon logo on a black background, Jaws has the Amity Island sign). To be clear, that static image was also on the playfield before moving it.

I would like to make that static image disappear so I can see the full backglass until a movie starts just like let's say Star Trek Stern released by SLAM.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Would like to hide the static movie clip image
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:56 pm 

I think I'm getting somewhere. I started playing with the MovieHUD.FadeOut command in the scripts and it is disappearing all right. Now will have to FadeIn when a movie starts and see if that works throughout a play.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:18 am 

Nope, even simpler. For Flash Gordon I set MovieHUD.Frame 36 to MovieHUD.Frame 891 which is a transparent frame. I did this for all instances of MovieHUD.Frame 36 and it works perfectly.

I looked at the backglass movie overlay code that disappears and copied it for the MovieHUD.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:18 am 

Well it is a little complicated. The movies are just still frames shown in a sequence. The still frames are saved into the Texture Manager. The images that you want to eliminate are just still frames. The coding for a still frame usually looks something like this:

OverlayHUD.Frame 1

A moving frame usually looks something like this:

OverlayHUD.Frame 477, 512

There are a few other variations. You might want to look through the FP guide.

Now you will want to find the frames you want to not display. So the first step would be to look through all the textures and find them. The easiest way is to this is to open up the FP "Preferences" then "Editor Options" and click on the box to add a check for "Load Images into Editor". Then close FP and open it. When you open the Texture Manager, you will be able to see the images.

When the find the texture you want to remove, write down the name of the texture. Now Open the "Image List Manager" and then open an images list that Slam usually calls "Movie". He frequently has to create more than one image list because he can only add about 1000 images to one image list so there are often more than one image list. Find the name of the image in one of the movie lists. The first column is the frame number which is used in the code I saved above.

You can only save one image list to an overlay. So if there is more than one images list, there will be more than one overlay for it. Find the overlay that has the name of your image list.

Now you have all the info you need. The script lists the name of the overlay, "OverlayHUD" in the examples above and then ".Frame" that tells FP to display a frame and then the frame number.

Now you have the code to search for and remove from the script (or I would suggest remarking the script out by placing a single quote on the line before the script. There is a short cut for a line in the script. The colon is the same thing as a hard return in the script.

George

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:38 am 

Thanks for the info George. I got it working with the way I described before you posted your steps.

Quick question though, FP is crashing when I exit of Imagelist Manager. Happens everytime.

Here is what I do:
-Click on Imagelist manager from Table
-Select HUD which has 1 image
-Click Edit...
-Click on OK without changing anything
-FP crashes

I'm running the latest BAM, using ZED's 1.1 FP exe, run as admin and compatibilty mode to Windows XP and this happens if images are loaded or not.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:01 am 

It doesn't happen when I do that. One possibility is that you are running out of memory. If you have "Load Images into Editor" checked, you might try unchecking it.

If you are using Windows 10, you don't need to use the compatibility mode for Windows XP. The only compatibility option I use is "Run as administrator" on my Windows 10 PC.

If it is not either of these 2 things, I don't know.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:01 pm 

I removed the windows xp compatibility and also set FP to run as admin as well. It seems I had skipped a step and only did that on FPloader.

Just tested it and working fine now.

It's working fine on my cabinet but figured I would install it on my laptop to edit the tables easier.

Thanks again George.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:32 pm 

Some of the guys that have laptops with integrated graphics have to right click on the FP exe and select "high performance Nvidia". Then the Nvidia panel opens and they have to confirm the change.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:34 pm 

I also did that when the tables were super slow, it was using the onboard gpu lol.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:55 pm 

Don't use a modified EXE.

Stick to the original EXE, especially since Slam's tables have scripted physics. Modified EXE's always seemed to crash tables for me.

For your older tables, I'd start copying in the physics in the script or use an XML. For my EM tables I'm using a custom 1.0 physics XML file. For other tables I'm copying in Slam's custom physics for Jaws, Dynamic Flippers and shadow maps.

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help