Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post subject: Multiplayers - How to turn on and off?
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:40 am 

Guys,

I have never played pinball in multiplayer mode. Sometimes the mode seems to startup on its own like on "Lethal Weapon 3". The only way I know to make FP play in single player is to edit the script and change "constMaxPlayers" to 1. Is there another way to turn multiplayer on and off?

George

Post subject: Re: Multiplayers - How to turn on and off?
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:34 am 

You have come to the right shop curious GeorgeH :D
Step right in...I have thought of changing my name to MPDude !

First of all "TURN MP OFF" ! Are you absolutely insane ? Perish the thought :)
Why would you do such a thing? Just put one coin in and press play, no more multiplayer.

But alas yes you change the script as you suggested or in several other ways that are just as straightforward.

Turning off MP is so easy that your thread question really is "How to turn MP on? "

"How to turn MP on?" This is where the journey begins and ,alas, it is not for the faint of heart.

Some observations first:
1. Games that reset everything between balls are much easier to have MP enabled
(That is why many EM Reel games have MP)
2.Games that reset some things, but carry over mission progress etc.. are harder.
3.Most table authors ( in my tweaking ventures) seem to have used the "New Table Template" as a starting point which is good for MP potential.
4.Other authors (PolyGame, Popotte) script from scratch/use there own templates.
So if MP is not scripted you have do a lot more work to implement it.
5.Many MP tables are "Pseudo"MP and don't remember each players progress, all players
are collectively adding to the same bonuses.
6.Many MP tables lack DMD notifications for MP play (whose turn it is, showing comparitive scores etc...)

Ways to try to enable MP (may not work, depends on table) Worked for "Road Girls revisited"
1.Const constMaxPlayers = 4
2.Enable Startgame script as per new table template
Code:
If (KeyCode = GetKeyCode(StartGameKey)) Then
        ' must be less than max players and must be on the the very first ball of the game
         If ((PlayersPlayingGame < constMaxPlayers) And (bOnTheFirstBall = TRUE)) Then
   ' free play or credits
     If (bFreePlay = TRUE) Then 'add the extra player
   PlayersPlayingGame = PlayersPlayingGame + 1

3. Change all NvScore1 to Nvscore(Currentplayer)
Code:
Sub AddScore(points)
   If (fpTilted = FALSE) Then
   ' add the points to the current players score variable
   nvScore(CurrentPlayer) = nvScore(CurrentPlayer) + points

4.Go through new table template and search "CurrentPlayer" to see other areas in script
where players are assigned stuff.
5.Deal with the DMD (do you want to create one for each player?)

Last edited by Gimli on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:43 am 

If you are lucky this will work, but you still don't have true MP.

In order to have this, you need to save all accomplishments at the end of each ball,
reset the table and restore next player's accomplishments

There are two ways I have discovered to accomplish this:
1. Create a billion "Dim's" that assign true/false values or numeric values
to each player and for each milestone you want the keep stored.
ie. P1Light1On = True, P2LightOn = False, P1MissionsAcomplished = 4, P2MissionsAcomplished = 2 or whatever.
2. Use the internal Fp "Savers" NvS1-16 and NvR1-16 and save game progress values
as Strings/Arrays. This has the added bonus of Saving game states for future play and
recovering from crash and lost/stuck balls. It's also a good cheat tool where you can save a game in progress during a critical time and keep restoring it until you get thru that mission you are trying to accomplish.

Current tables with "pseudo" MP only, can be converted to "true" MP by one of the two methods above

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:18 pm 

My goodness. I thought I was asking a question that would have a simple answer. I suspected I was in trouble when several people viewed my question without responding. I thought I might find someone to play pinball with but maybe not... I can see why you created true multiplayer modes on Jaws and Batman Joker.

The Zed version of "Lethal Weapon 3" has a multiplayer mode that appears to start by default (at least sometimes). I've decided it has a bug because it gets hung up when the DMD displays a man firing a gun at 4 targets and has text that says "Player 1 up". The ball gets hung up and takes an extraordinarily long time to be released. I may just stop using the Zed version. The other versions of this tables don't appear to have this problem. The only time the multiplayer option worked correctly was when I opened the table for the first time I opened the table, then it never worked right.

Then I had a problem with the table identified on pinsimdb.org as "Zedpinball Physics 1.0: 24 CE (Original Playfield) 1.01 x64". It was always starting up in 2 player mode so I changed "constMaxPlayers" in the script from 4 to 1. I just changed it back to 4 today but now it stays in single player mode. I guess it is some sort of flaky business with FP.

These are the only 2 tables where I have had a problem with multiplayers. I guess 2 out of 388 tables that I have downloaded isn't bad.

Thanks for your help,

Curious George

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help