Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most Frequently Hardware/Video Issues
 Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:15 am 

After a not so long but very intense experience with Future Pinball, here are some tips I would like to give you:

- in case you are using the computer only for Future Pinball (pincabs): install Windows XP SP3 and avoid 7 or 8 even if in XP you cannot use more than 4GB of RAM memory (8GB not needed for FP).
FP is much quicker opening and closing tables with no crashes.
- Install the OS only with 1 monitor connected, the one you will use for the playfield. Connect the backglass monitor only after you completely install all drivers.
This will void many issues, especially if you are going to use FP via Hyperpin. Due to the fact it is impossible to change screen ID in Windows.
- Always restart FP if you want to load another table. FP cannot properly reset memory usage after you exit a table.
- If you use Windows 7 or 8 set "Future Pinball.exe" to run as admin and WinXP SP3 compatibility BUT if you use FP via Hyperpin it will create many issues when exiting the table.

Tip for resizing tables: just install the BAM (Better Arcade Mode) addon, it will resize automatically the table to fill the screen as much as possible, keeping the correct size proportions.

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:48 am 

Some good points here, some comments:

:arrow: "Due to the fact it is impossible to change screen ID in Windows.":
- maybe I'm wrong, but in nvidia or ati video card config, you can choose which one is the master screen. Windows (at least 7) also have some configuration: in the screen resolution (display resolution, maybe?) you can drag and drop screen to chose which one is on the left or on the right (I don't think it affect wich screen is the master one, though).
:arrow: "If you use Windows 7 or 8 set "Future Pinball.exe" to run as admin and WinXP SP3 compatibility BUT if you use FP via Hyperpin it will create many issues when exiting the table.":
- simple workaround, never (ever) install a game in Windows "program files" folder. But, if you really want to install it there, you can do it (and require "run as admin") by changing NTFS permission on disk to allow "Users" group read AND write (I don't recommend that it's not a good practice). I'm on Windows 7 x64 and never had any issue with FP.

How to add your table or fill missing information : viewtopic.php?f=72&p=34257#p34257

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:35 pm 

You cannot change the screen ID in Windows. It is a known issue of this OS.
You are talking about choosing primary and secondary desktop. It is a totally different thing.

I never installed FP in the "program files" folder. In Win7 and Win8 if I don't run the exe as admin and XP compatibility, the less that happens is a black screen in the playfield monitor.
And this I experienced with fresh installations of Windows 7 and 8 (both 64 bits version).

When I tried with XP 32bit it ran always perfectly, no black screens or crashes.
And it is also quicker.

I don't know the reasons. I have a Sapphire Radeon HD7750. Do you use a Nvidia?

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:35 am 

I had a ATI previously and an nvidia now.
Is your user account not an administrator? I can't remember if my account was one.

How to add your table or fill missing information : viewtopic.php?f=72&p=34257#p34257

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:48 am 

First post... just trying to get into Visual Pinball and found it impossible, found Future Pinball and got it to run, so I thought I was ahead of the game and ready to make a virtual cabinet myself. I guess I have a few questions. First off, the only way I could figure out to put tables in arcade mode was with BAM. It gave me these images, but it irritated me a bit that the tables don't cover about 1/4 of the screen, yet the Future Pinball watermark and DMDs do. It's also kind of tough to see the flippers.

https://imageshack.com/a/img28/3055/shyu.jpg

http://imageshack.com/i/jnj8qaj

I'm not sure what kind of PC I'd need to run the program to the max, but it said:

FPS 9(9) OP's 983 Tris 268811 Physics 21

I was running Firefox, IE, etc. in the background, too, which probably didn't help, but I don't know if those are bad or ok. I know they're probably not good because it's just my laptop. Was going to try to use it if possible with the cabinet, though.

Anyone got an suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:41 pm 

DMD Numbers problem:

paste this at the end of the script

Function FormatScore(num)
Dim n, f, s
n = CStr(num)
f = ""

do while len(n)>3
if len(f)>0 then
f = Right(n, 3) & "," & f
else
f = Right(n, 3)
end if
n = Left(n, Len(n)-3)
loop
if len(n)>0 then
if len(f) > 0 then
f = n & "," & f
else
f = n
end if
end if
FormatScore = f
End Function

Make a Find and replace in the script for...
Find: FormatNumber
Replace: FormatScore

And another one:
Make a Find and replace in the script for...
Find: , 0, -1, 0, -1
Replace: (Leave the space blank, so the numbers are deleted)

Cursor must be on to the top of the script before any search and replace

FormatScore code made by Sebek74

Francisco

Post Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:57 pm 

There is much more simple way to resolve of this Score displaying problem on DMD.
It occurs because of number formating with group delimiter specified in the computer's regional settings. Just change symbol used for digits grouping number in the computer's regional settings.
This can help on Terminator 2 and Attack from Mars tables f.e.
I did it and now DMD on this tables work fine.
and one little thing about another DMD issue - if it has grey color instead of orange - check "disable GLSL shaders" option in video settings of FP.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:02 pm 

Thanks for the FAQ all!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:05 am 

This is a very useful thread it as helped me a lot without haveing to ask a load of noob questions. I have found useing the video settings found in this thread and razer game booster I can get a smooth 60 FPS.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:47 pm 

Brand new to the FP scene and trying to ramp up. I have a two monitor setup intending to do a cab setup. I have the backglass monitor logically to the right of the playfield with both still in landscape and the playfield as the primary display (has the task bar).

I'm having a heck of a time getting the back glass to display in arcade mode (zero success so far).

The playfield shows on the primary display (playfield display) in the upper left corner and has to be moved using the scroll lock to get it centered and scaled on the primary monitor. Alternately, I can use BAM to do that.

The back glass shows the future pinball logo full size across the entire back glass monitor. Nothing else shows there (black behind it).

I've tried resizing the back glass within FP via scroll lock with any success - I can't find any part of the back glass to then shift it into position and size it.

Given the following settings, what do you suggest (I suspect setting up the back glass is a common problem, so I'm asking here):

Use Second Monitor for Backbox: checked

Video Settings Playfield
Monitor \\.\Display1
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Full Screen checked
Arcade Mode checked
Aspect Widescreen selected
Rotation 270

Video Settings Backbox
Monitor \\.\Display2
Resolution 1680 x 1050
Full Screen checked
Arcade Mode checked
Aspect (no selection allowed - grayed out)
Rotation 0 (No Rotation)

I have VP9 also installed on this machine with UVP and HyperPin. I've no idea if this may be causing interference in some form.

The monitors are set to their native full resolution -- not sure what is optimal or compatible for backbox resolution.

I have tried running FP native, via BAM, native via HyperPin and via HyperPin with BAM. No luck with locating and displaying the backbox.

-Ron

*** Update ***

I installed an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT I had lying around (replacing the Intel Haswell 4600 integrated graphics). This has fixed the backbox issue in FP. So, while the Intel 4600 can run FP with low to medium settings, it won't display the backbox.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help