Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most Frequently Hardware/Video Issues
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:38 am 

^ Wow! I didn't even think about 3D! That would be almost better than the arcades! ...almost.

If this does get 3D compatibility, I'll make sure to get a 3D graphics card with my next PC.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:58 am 

i got a question what does texture compression s3tc do? sometimes it make the ball seem less laggy for me but what other then that does it do

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:27 am 

genesislover wrote:
i got a question what does texture compression s3tc do? sometimes it make the ball seem less laggy for me but what other then that does it do

testing it atm without s3tc on ball runs fine without it it seems

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:29 pm 

I have a widescreen monitor with rotate function. How do I get the table perfect fit into my monitor like the full screen tables in the emulator virtual pinball?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:46 pm 

When I switched to a new computer and with Windows 7 32-bit operating system, I found the following.

If you set the Depth of "Video / Rendering Options" to 16 bpp (instead of 32 bpp) then,
those bmp-textures, in which a one color is defined to create a transparent area, no longer work properly, those areas are no longer transparent.

So use always "Depth" setting 32 bpp.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:17 pm 

If your gameplay has a low FPS (for newbies: you can check this by pressing F9 during gameplay), try lowering your resolution. If you are using a cab setup, make sure you do this to BOTH monitors.

I installed a new graphics card that ran flawlessly on one PC and then when I tried it on another PC, I received HALF the FPS. I tried damn near everything to fix it to no avail. Finally I saw that my 2nd monitor for the backglass was at 1280x1024. I changed it to 1024x768 and everything worked beautifully.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:14 am 

I found this thread very useful because i got great information about hardware and video issues. I would like to thank you n3X_VI for this post.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:36 am 

Table would not load for me until as as stated earlier to "set model textures to high". I don't know if this helped too but as stated earlier I unchecked load images into editor. Thanks for this great but challenging table.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:42 am 

This is something I posted quite a while back. Since this is a good thread about the topic I thought I would post it here as well.

This is mostly for those with a weak PC trying to get the most out of their situation. But I guess others may get something out of it as well. Tell me if you do or if any other images would help.

Info: The following are screenshots from my cab which is running close to 720p. It's a 10yr old P4 machine with a Radeon x800Pro video card. With the age of the PC there was never a doubt that I would need to make some compromises with the graphics. My video card will not run any mode higher than 720. My 37" playfield TV also isn't new so it doesn't like being connected to a PC. In my settings image at the bottom you will see the strange resolution I needed to create to get full screen.

I picked Twilight zone to take some shots of as it's a real busy table with all kinds of things to look at.

Here are some numbers first. These obviously are 100% relative to my PC and yours will for sure be different.

Turning on Playfield reflections = -10 FPS (Frames Per Second)
Turning on Ball reflections = -6 FPS
Texture filtering Trilinear instead of Bilinear = -6 FPS
Playing table in HyperPin instead of FP only = -5 FPS
Having HyperPin Debugging ON (True) = -5 FPS
Flares on Playfield Lights = -5 FPS

Screenshots

Look at the FULL SCREEN SHOTS to get the whole visual.

Notice how smooth the rails are and how smooth the slingshots are on the MagnaFlip playfield. At the same time the actual playfield artwork looks very unsharp.
FULL SCREEN SHOT

In this shot things are quite different. The rails look jagged and with no AA the slingshots look terrible. Even the ramp has jagged lines. Using Bilinear though the playfield sharpness and percieved detail has increased quite a bit. And from a playing distance it looks just fine. Playfield Reflections are on in this one, they can just be seen on the right in the yellow. This setup cost me a lot of FPS even though AA was off.
FULL SCREEN SHOT

In this shot AA has been turned back on to 6, but Texture Filtering is still at Bilinear. This is now entering a compromise type situation. I need to live with some jagged rails while having a more detailed playfield.
FULL SCREEN SHOT

What have I learned?

1. Playfield reflections cost me a lot of FPS and on some tables doesn't add that much, some tables however look awesome. This is a setting I am going to try and keep on if I can.

2. I cannot play without Ball Reflections as things just look totally wrong without them.

3. Trilinear cleans too much and kills detail.

4. Using AA is a MUST when running in a low resolution with an older video card.

5. In a cab setting disable Render Game Room as it's pointless.

6. I have disabled flares on playfield lights as IMO don't look real and they save me precious FPS.

7. Flares on Flashers is enabled as flashers should look "flashy".

My PC right now is in a very fine state of balance where it's running mostly* everything nicely and things look pretty good, not super awesome but good.

* For some tables I had to remove videos or Holo's to keep the FPS up but none of that takes away from the game as they are usually add on's that aren't on the actual tables anyway.

My current settings just in case you have an old PC and wanna try to get things going:

***My current FPS is about 50 to 100+ FPS depending on the table.***

Oh and I almost forgot that if you have a weak PC you should start by minimizing the load on your PC. I'm running XP SP3. You can Google how to speed up XP or Win7 to get more ideas and how to's, below is what I did.

1. Go into the control panel and set it for performance. This gets rid of all the animations, shadows etc and also puts it back into classic mode.

2. I opted not to connect it to the internet as that takes up precious resources with background updating etc.

3. Not being connected to the internet the risk of catching a disease is minimal since I control 100% what is going on the PC. This means I don't need any Antivirus programs running in the background taking up more precious resources. ** It is important that any files you transfer over are from trusted sources. Limit your downloading to as few places as possible.

4. Remove any image from you desktop background and run a color.

5. Make sure that you don't have any services running such as Task Scheduler or Indexing.

Not having it connected to the Internet made a huge difference. It took a couple reboots for it to learn that there was no connection and there wasn't going to be one, once it learned that all was quick. The desktop background surprisingly makes another big difference, you wouldn't think so but it does.

Overall all these tweaks made about a 30 FPS change for me, in my case making all tables playable vs not.

PC - 2x Xeon CPU's 3.2ghz, 4g ram, GTX 650 Ti OC 1g, 80g 7200rpm SATA drive, Soundblaster Pro.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:57 am 

That's a great post Jason, thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help