Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Resources » FP Addons

Post subject: Re: [DEV] FP Addons SDK - now rebuild table MAC
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 am 

Beta-tester send me an important patch :

- new chunks found in table description : objects counter (elements, images, etc ....). Don't forget to increase the counter if you add some elements !
- various compiler fixes
- added a xml dump of chunks.

thx again beta-tester. I like the way all of this is doing ;)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:08 am 

Hi!

Last week i learned little bit about pixel shaders and i added first one to my BAM.
I some time i want to see if i can do more change how FP looks. For example replace opengl lighting with Per-Pixel-Lighting with shaders. So if You alredy try to modify .fpt files You may consider adding additional data types to it.

Why? There is a chance to enhance material model in FP for example add multitexturing, bump maping and other new things.

Now it is only idea, but image:
- new material model.
- real time editing (in BAM) to modify materials in game time (for table creators :) )
- shadows?

It can be totaly diffrent game.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:26 am 

Location: orion-cygnus arm, local solar system, earth, europe, germany, ..., here
ravarcade wrote:
... if You alredy try to modify .fpt files You may consider adding additional data types to it.

i think it is possible to add additional new data chunks to the .fpt file (adding data chunks per table element and/or adding data blocks [sub files] with custom data), but how you will bring FuturePinball to read or prevent FuturePinball to reject that data at load/design/runtime?
and even FuturePinball will accept (overread/ignore) that data, then the data will go lost when you edit the table and save it in FuturePinball - because if the data will not be read, it can not be wrote back to the .fpt file in FuturePinball. this additional data can only be stored as an additional post process.

unfortunately i did not followed the posts of the BAM thread very well - sorry, so i don't know the possibilities of it - if it can fetch that data. :oops:

(you can take a raw look to *.fpt files with that app:
http://gopinball.com/forum/download/file.php?id=4556
with that you can see the internal structure of such file "containers".
you can see, that a *.fpt file contains many "sub files" - so adding custom sub files can be a solution or one level deeper, data chunks inside an existing sub file)

Last edited by beta-tester on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:59 am 

beta-tester wrote:
ravarcade wrote:
... if You alredy try to modify .fpt files You may consider adding additional data types to it.

i think it is possible to add additional new data chunks to the .fpt file (adding data chunks per table element and/or adding data blocks [sub files] with custom data), but how you will bring FuturePinball to read or prevent FuturePinball to reject that data at load/design/runtime?
and even FuturePinball will accept (overread/ignore) that data, then the data will go lost when you edit the table and save it in FuturePinball - because if the data will not be read, it can not be wrote back to the .fpt file in FuturePinball. this additional data can only be stored as an additional post process.

unfortunately i did not followed the posts of the BAM thread very well - sorry, so i don't know the possibilities of it - if it can fetch that data. :oops:

(you can take a raw look to *.fpt files with that app:
http://gopinball.com/forum/download/file.php?id=4556
with that you can see the internal structure of such file "containers".
you can see, that a *.fpt file contains many "sub files" - so adding custom sub files can be a solution or one level deeper, data chunks inside an existing sub file)

In BAM i allredy hooked system calls to open fille, so i can add hook to read (and i will i bam get same data as FP). Also i can open .fpt file separetly (i already to it to get table dimensions).

About container. If FP will remove additional "file" from .fpt we can create fake bitmap (not visible in game) with additional data inside it. So BAM can read and use it.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:09 am 

Location: orion-cygnus arm, local solar system, earth, europe, germany, ..., here
ravarcade wrote:
About container. If FP will remove additional "file" from .fpt we can create fake bitmap (not visible in game) with additional data inside it. So BAM can read and use it.

i think you can add texture images to .fpt files anyhow - even if they are not used and "linked" to any table element in the editor... that should be the eases solution... then FP is reading that resources to the editor and is storing it as well. (FP does not optimize the resources and does not drop unused ones)
then your BAM addon has to handle that resources in a way you need.

EDIT: maby by giving textures a special name can control, the handling:
i.e.
"myTexture" = the standard texture that is used in the editor
"myTexture.bump" = displacement/bumpmap texture, not used in editor, but in your BAM
"myTexture.normal" = normalmap texture, not used in editor, but in your BAM
"myTexture.spec" = specualrity map texture, not used in editor, but in your BAM
"myTexture.diffuse" = diffuse map texture, not used in editor, but in your BAM
"myTexture.trans" = transparency map texture, not used in editor, but in your BAM
"myTexture.emit" = emission map texture, not used in editor, but in your BAM

i think the possibility of adding normal/bump/displacement maps to the shader, would already increase the visual effects of models incredibly drastically.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:30 pm 

Is anyone still using this tool?

If yes, I was wandering what you use it for.

George

Board index » Resources » FP Addons