Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » PinSimDB.org & GoPinball.com sites » Bug report and feature requests

Post subject: DOFLinx table hosting and DOFLinx category at PinSimDB?
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:20 pm 

Site owners and moderators of GoPinball and PinSimDB, please read...

I wrote up a nice long post about a new program from DDH69 I've been beta testing called DOFLinx that you can read all about here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6234&p=81651#p81651

Its a very powerful program that will allow for DOF (Direct Output Framework) support for Future Pinball tables and allow them to control most modern pinball cabinet toys, feedback and lighting hardware.

This is meant to be a universal option to allow for more than just Led-Wiz support, but also PACLED64, Sainsmart USB, and KLZ25 controllers. This is a very big deal for Future Pinball and cabinet users!

We were hoping that any Future Pinball tables that have been updated to add DOFLinx support could be hosted at PinSimDB, and also would like to know if we could have a DOFLinx category added as well?

Please contact DDH69 or myself if you are interested in this.

Thank-you!

Post subject: Re: DOFLinx table hosting and DOFLinx category at PinSimDB?
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:12 pm 

i say go for it! Ask those table authors that are still active
imho you are not modding the table but simply adding a feature

the one suggestion I would have is make your additions all backward compatible

ravarcade tries to do this ( except perhaps with recent miniplayfield tables)

if I don't have doflinx toys, the table shouldn't crash....

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:55 pm 

That's the way DDH69 designed the FPLink portion of DOFLinx to work. DOFLinx does not modify any part of Future Pinball at all.

You only need to copy the DOFLinx.vbs to your Future Pinball/scripts folder for a DOFLinx modded table to work with, or without any cabinet toys. (like some Led-Wiz tables require the Led-Wiz.vbs, I think) Otherwise you will get:

"Pinball Meditation Error" about FF_Init, and the table cannot play without that DOFLinx.vbs file. I don't think there is any other possible way to have FP communicate with another program unless you want to modify it somehow.

If you have DOFLinx setup and "active", and a DOFLinx modded table is running, then the table script will simply pass any DOFLinx messages to DOFLinx, which will in turn translate those messages and control whatever hardware you have setup in the DOFLinx.ini for your cabinet (with some user customization for control at that point separate from the FP table), which is then controlled through DOF.

DDH69 provided a good example in the Indy table of how when the DOFLinx'd table is run, and DOFLinx is "active", then the mechanical in-game sounds of the table (flippers, slingshots, etc) will automatically not play when they are used. (because you only want to real mechanical sounds from your cabinet playing)

If however, you don't even have DOFLinx installed or running (except for needing the DOFLinx.vbs file), then the game plays normally with all sounds.

This also plays into being able to use a silent "night mode" as well to turn off your "Noise makers" which works great.

I also leave 'notes' with EVERY DOFLinx command I put into the script, so that table authors will know exactly what those commands are and what they are doing. DOFLinx commands are easy to find as well since they mostly start with FF_

SLAMT1LT gave us his blessing to DOFLinx mod his original tables / mods and host them wherever we like... yes even those VP oriented sites, lol! This includes all the newest tables / mods from his website.

The Star Trek (STERN) table is working quite nicely right now. I'm still new at scripting, but I was able to get the central "FIRE" button on my cabinet flashing the same as it does in the game, and I have my blower fan going off when you get "WARP" speed, as well as beacons going off at other times. DDH69 did the RGB flashers, solenoids for flippers-bumpers,etc as well as the shaker going off when you TILT. It's a learning process that can be easier depending on the complexity of the script and how good the author's notes are.

It really does make a difference in the fun factor!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:15 am 

Sounds cool. I wish I had a pinball cabinet. I just revised the BAM users guide but there is a big hole in it for PinCab users because I don't have a cab. My rev at least gives them a start. I take it that you have to script the actions like you would LedWiz but DOF would be able to get act as a universal program that gets inputs from like VP, Pinball Arcade, Pinball Fx2 and other pinball programs?

George

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:30 am 

Yes, you still have to add in the actions in the script yourself, for the simple reason that Future Pinball does NOT use any roms.

It's only because of the "rom's" programming (and VPinMAME) that make cabinet feedback so easy with DOF in Visual Pinball. However, if you have an "original" table (the equivalent of a Future Pinball table) in Visual Pinball that uses no roms, (or EM tables) then you still have to program that feedback support for DOF into the script for the table just like you do in Future Pinball.

Its because of Visual Basic, etc that allows Future Pinball and Visual Pinball to have this kind of capability.

With PFX2, TPA,etc you can only use keyboard commands to control the outputs of your feedback devices. There is absolutely nothing "seen" from those programs by DOFLinx. you can however do some pretty cool things if you get creative enough, like I showed in my PinKadia thread videos of DOFFX2 (the older version of DOFLinx)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:09 pm 

So right now, DOFLinx tables can be added to PinSimDB, and you can add a tag of "DOFLinx" as well.

This is awesome!

We're trying to get some good DOFLinx modded tables out there to show off the features of DOFLinx and hopefully some videos as well.

Board index » PinSimDB.org & GoPinball.com sites » Bug report and feature requests