Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Resources » FPM EDITOR and 3D models

Post subject: FPM Model : PowerBumper
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:07 am 

Because sometime...all you need is a good ol' kick in the ball :D

As requested, a new breed of bumper. I don't know what to think of this "idea" yet so it will need your imput guys. Please test them and report here. Viable or not, I want to see if this is an avenue that can be interesting to some of you.

What's the Deal.

They are no ordinary bumpers. Somebody ask for a little torque!..well these feels like they drank some red bull ealier on. Don't step to conclusion too fast...the cool thing is that they are completely break down so you can control the strenght of each segments (8) composing each bumpers, the color and texture of any parts SEPARATELY!

What are they made of
The PowerBumper_Base : Just a Ramp Model. Use "Disable culling to make it look solid. Can be semi-transparent with a Targa map. or chromy with Sphere Mapping

The PowerBumper_Skirt : In apparance this is just a flat trigger, but in reality, it is a 35mm height cylinder which doesnt block the ball but send the event to the 8 PowerBumper_Kickers

The PowerBumper_Repulsor : it is an animated drop target. Follow the example script I have included.

The PowerBumper_Cap : a simple Bulb object but with the flare at the base so you can actually see the decal even if it is lit or not. Texturable via the "lens" property. leave it on white and let the color of your texture be the light.

The PowerBumper_Kickers : a severly modified EmKicker. So it is almost invisible hidden in the PowerBumper_Base. each one cover an angle of 45 degrees.

Ok kids, Time to have fun :
Attachment:
PowerBumperv1.zip

Steve

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: FPM Model : PowerBumper
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:29 am 

Steve wrote:
Because sometime...all you need is a good ol' kick in the ball :D

As requested, a new breed of bumper. I don't know what to think of this "idea" yet so it will need your imput guys. Please test them and report here. Viable or not, I want to see if this is an avenue that can be interesting to some of you.

What's the Deal.

They are no ordinary bumpers. Somebody ask for a little torque!..well these feels like they drank some red bull ealier on. Don't step to conclusion too fast...the cool thing is that they are completely break down so you can control the strenght of each segments (8) composing each bumpers, the color and texture of any parts SEPARATELY!

What are they made of
The PowerBumper_Base : Just a Ramp Model. Use "Disable culling to make it look solid. Can be semi-transparent with a Targa map. or chromy with Sphere Mapping

The PowerBumper_Skirt : In apparance this is just a flat trigger, but in reality, it is a 35mm height cylinder which doesnt block the ball but send the event to the 8 PowerBumper_Kickers

The PowerBumper_Repulsor : it is an animated drop target. Follow the example script I have included.

The PowerBumper_Cap : a simple Bulb object but with the flare at the base so you can actually see the decal even if it is lit or not. Texturable via the "lens" property. leave it on white and let the color of your texture be the light.

The PowerBumper_Kickers : a severly modified EmKicker. So it is almost invisible hidden in the PowerBumper_Base. each one cover an angle of 45 degrees.

Ok kids, Time to have fun :
Attachment:
PowerBumperv1.zip

Steve

Thanks a lot. I'll play with them over the next couple of days and let you know how I get on.
Glxb

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:57 pm 

This is brillant, and works a lot better than the standard bumper model.

I've had a quick play around with it. If you set the kicker force slider for all 8 kickers all the way to the left, it's less of a "super" bumper. It's still a tad fast than a EM type bumper, but it's speeds are far more consistent and makes a world of difference.

Think I will play around some more with this. :)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:23 pm 

I just finished to implemented them in TDK and the kicking difference is night and day.
I am personaly very pleased the result :) .

viewtopic.php?p=198#p198

Steve

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:43 pm 

Wow I'm glad I asked for them now.
Haven't had time to play with them yet. (Its 4.45 am and I just finished work)
Will play tonight hopefully.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:21 am 

Okay, this is a weird one...

I'm getting weird behavior with the caps if Crystal (semi-tranparent) is checked. I figured it out that it's the PowerBump_repulsor object, and it depends on the color set for it. My custom graphic is a bmp file, but it seemed to do this with the stock cap graphic

I've loaded 3 screenshots so you can see the behavior.

The first one (Capture1.png) is the fixed version. If the Caps are drawn to front, and the PowerBump_repulsor color is set to true black (0,0,0) then the caps show, and become super shiny (which actually looks very nice) If you set those caps to be drawn to the back, they become very dull, and it's very hard to see through them.

The second screenshot (Capture2.png)when the PowerBump_repulsor is set to white (or other colors) with the cap drawn in front. As you can tell, they become REALLY transparent

The third screenshot (Capture3.png) is the same, but the caps are drawn to the back, where they appear normally, and appear to be a normal transparent FP image.

New computer, win 7 , nvidia 240 garphics card. Drivers maybe? FP doesn't like Win7?

BTW, is there a way to make those repulsor target objects disappear with a graphic? And if so, could you tell us and the graphically impared how to do it?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:01 am 

There is not much I can do. the transparency of some object are very buggy in fp
take a minibulb and you will notice that you see through even if there is an object placed behind..weird, but it is known limitation, since I am not the conceptor I can only provide workaround.

1. don't use transparency
2. I could merge both object but the repulsor would be static and part of the bulb object.
3. the cap could be a Ramp model object which support perfect transparency, but there would be a need to add an extra bulb to lit each bumper

repulsor object use the droptarget model which is known to NOT support transparency. But if you don't want to see it...just remove it. and remove the last part of the script.

unless I didnt understand your question :cry:

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:29 am 

Steve wrote:
There is not much I can do. the transparency of some object are very buggy in fp
take a minibulb and you will notice that you see through even if there is an object placed behind..weird, but it is known limitation, since I am not the conceptor I can only provide workaround.

1. don't use transparency
2. I could merge both object but the repulsor would be static and part of the bulb object.
3. the cap could be a Ramp model object which support perfect transparency, but there would be a need to add an extra bulb to lit each bumper

repulsor object use the droptarget model which is known to NOT support transparency. But if you don't want to see it...just remove it. and remove the last part of the script.

unless I didnt understand your question :cry:

Ah, so I am not going nuts after all. I'm pretty new to FP, so I don't know the in's and outs. Have been finding a few bugs here and there though, so will try and remember the "be careful when using drop targets around objects with transparency" thing. Still, maybe the bug is usable for something else. I removed the repulsor, thought it was important or something. Works just as well as before, caps look nice as well. I added a light to the cap, as I noticed the cap light projects on the floor, just like you said. :)

I like the way this is setup as well. Could be very handy, as being stuck to set models limits things, but with this setup with a seperate cap and stem, you can use this idea for other things. Thanks for the time and the hand holding.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:47 am 

One word AWESOME.
A lot better than the standard ones.
Thanks again Steve.

Glxb

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:13 am 

Quote:
Ah, so I am not going nuts after all. I'm pretty new to FP, so I don't know the in's and outs.

Whenever you have a question about FP, feel free to ask. It is easier than scratching your head over a problem which might be only a limitation.

Quote:
Have been finding a few bugs here and there though, so will try and remember the "be careful when using drop targets around objects with transparency" thing.

There are 2 specifics types of transparency in FP

1. the one for objects who use a targa 32bit map for transparency (sometime buggy)
2. the one for objects that got transparency sliders (not buggy but the transparency is no always 100% as you would expect)

Quote:
I removed the repulsor, thought it was important or something. Works just as well as before,

Nah..it was just for the animation part
Now that I know this can have a future, I will process all of the various bumpers component separatly so people have some choice.

Steve

Board index » Resources » FPM EDITOR and 3D models