Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Resources » Tutorials, how-to's, bug report and docs

Post subject: Setting Up Nvidia Graphics Card / How to Address Stuttering
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:48 pm 

Some time back, Miownkhan showed me how to set up my Nvidia graphics card to handle Future Pinball. After I set it up, I didn't see much improvement so I left it set up the way he recommended and forgot about it. Just this week, I upgraded my PC to Windows 10. For some reason, the Nvidia setup got deleted in the upgrade. When I opened tables, I had a serious stuttering problem of the video when playing a table. If you don't know what stuttering is, it is a jerky movement of the ball on the table. Basically, it looks like a movie being shot so that you can only see occasional frames. When the ball moves you see the ball in one position followed by no movement of the ball at all and then the ball suddenly appears quite a distance from where you saw it last. This sequence repeats so you have jerky ball movement. Anyway, I found my Nvidia graphics card set up was gone after the Windows 10 upgrade. I set it up again as Miownkhan showed me and the stuttering problem was gone. I decided I needed to share the fix here with everyone. I annotated some screenshots below with directions on how to do this. You need to open your "Nvidia Control Panel" which should be located on your "Windows Control Panel". You may have an option for it when you right click on your desktop. The steps are numbered and need to be performed in sequence. You should be aware that there are multiple settings for many of the parameters. My video card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX670 with 2GB of VRam and I set most of the parameters to their highest setting. If you have an earlier graphics card model, you may need to use some of the lower settings.

Even after I made the changes to the set up of my Nvidia graphics card, I still had problems occasionally with stuttering on some tables using Windows 10. I ended up changing the "Hardware Lights to Use" on the "Preferences" > "Video / Rendering Options" screen to 0.

Note: If you are using Windows 10 and you use the options on the FP "Video /Rendering Options" screen to rotate your display either 90 degrees or 270 degrees, you may still experience some stuttering even after you set up your Nvidia card, at least I did. For some reason, rotating the display 0 or 180 degrees did not produce a stuttering problem on my PC. Miownkhan suggested I change the setting "Hardware Lights to Use" on the FP "Video /Rendering Options" screen to "0". This fixed the problem on my PC.

The most demanding table I have found for my video card is "Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". If you can get this table to display properly, you probably won't have trouble with the other tables. If you get the Nvidia Control Panel settings right, you will have a sharper, cleaner and nicer looking image. There will be fewer jagged lines, better image contrast, and pending some factors smoother game play.

If you want to know more, there is an in-depth discussion on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=5275

If you don't have an Nvidia graphics card, hopefully your graphics card has a control panel similar to Nvidia where you can make adjustments.

George

Last edited by GeorgeH on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:43 am, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Setting Up Nvidia Graphics Card for Future Pinball
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:51 pm 

Grazie mille per aver condiviso questa impostazione di Miownkhan
Saluti

Gianfranco

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:45 pm 

GF,

You're welcome!

George

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:32 pm 

Guys,

I discovered I made a mistake in the third screenshot above. The parameter in Step 10 for "Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias" should be "Clamp". I made a mistake in the original screen shot and it said "Allow". I have changed the screenshot so it is correct now. Those of you that have used this guide before I made this correction may want to make this change.

Sorry,

George

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:11 pm 

Thanks for having advised me via PM.
Greetings

Gianfranco

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:01 pm 

I added a note to my first posting for Windows 10 users that also use the option on the FP "Video /Rendering Options" screen to rotate your display either 90 degrees or 270 degrees.

George

Post subject: Re: Setting Up Nvidia Graphics Card / How to Address Stutter
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 pm 

MY next stop is Wine on Linux. Never going to install SpyOS10.

Post subject: Re: Setting Up Nvidia Graphics Card / How to Address Stutter
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:25 pm 

gibsmedat wrote:
MY next stop is Wine on Linux. Never going to install SpyOS10.

I guess I forgot to update my posting here. I have been able to set the "Hardware Lights to Use" setting back to the maximum setting of 7. The problem went away as mysteriously as it occurred. I am guessing that Nvidia rolled out a firmware update that fixed the problem but who knows for sure?

George

Board index » Resources » Tutorials, how-to's, bug report and docs