Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ghostbusters (Podball)
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:59 am 

In 3d you always need to take in consideration : does the cost worth it?

Use an hologram the very size of your PF, put it completely flat at height "0". no tilt no offset. Straight flat. Link it to an image sequence of 2 images :

-first image completely black (32x32 pixels)
-second, just a red blurry splotch located where ever you want...next to a flasher or a blinking light. (512x512 pixels..is more than enough)

play the hologram with the .frame technique (myHolo.frame 1,2,1). See what happen.

Flares on flashers and lights are rendered in "Add" color blending mode. Which is the same for my example with the hologram.

But hey!...you use whatever technique you want, It is your table.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:10 pm 

Well at 260+fps I'm not going to miss 8 fps. A stable 60 is going to be more than enough for most people :)

I'll try your version tho. I still expect it to be a quality over performance trade off tho. At the end its still having to render a transparent image so I suspect that fps gain is minor so you'd mainly be saving on table size and memory footprint.

Pod

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:21 pm 

the hologram is not transparent it is a blending mode. so there is no extra legwork for WP to do.
it doesn't have to take in account any transparency.

260 fps on your machine doesn't mean 260 fps on my machine. As a simple example, if I have more than 3 times 1024x2048 jpeg image in a table..most of the time I ended up with the "grey playfield effect" also known "memory leak".

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:44 pm 

Wouldn't 3 Jpegs of that size only cover the playfield translite and sideart?
Anyway, I'm not assuming that just because I run it at 260 that everyone does. I'm just assuming that there's enough spare room there that most people won't have an issue. Ultimately your spot on with your earlier post. I'm making the table I designed and I'd love other people to play it and enjoy it but I'd rather it looked how I wanted and a small number of people can't play it over dropping the quality to ensure 100% can. Got to draw the line somewhere :)

Also, I was quite proud of the effect and since it built on slams idea and that was well recieved i thought people might be interested to see my approach but you've pretty much just picked holes in it. Cheers for that :/
Pod

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:05 pm 

the size of the hologram is independent of the size of the images you put in the hologram...didn't you know?

you can have a 3000x3000 hologram with a 32x32px image in it.

I think you are confused about the concept. and I am concern because you are passing wrong information to newbies. Of course you can verify everything I say. my goal here was just to help.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:15 pm 

And I think you're confusing me for someone who doesnt know what they're talking about but my 10 years at AAA developers says different.
I've already mentioned that I was going to try dropping the size of the tga's to see how much it impacted the quality of the visuals.

Anyway, as mentioned over on the other thread in the tutorial section. I tried a hologram and it ignores the Z-buffer so would only work with a fixed camera (unless theres a setting I'm missing) making it unuseable for this effect.

Pod

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:21 pm 

ok, like you said, you are totally right on everything.

pardon my intrusion.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:35 pm 

Look, I was happy to debate the pros and cons but you started to pick holes in everything I said and also said
"But hey!...you use whatever technique you want, It is your table."
which pretty much reads as
"But hey...feel free to be wrong"
so excuse me if I started to get defensive after that.
Better yet when I went and tested your suggestion it didnt event work! (I'm posting an example image into the other thread). I suggest that if you wish to continue we take this into private messages.

Pod

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:47 pm 

I am not interested to go anywhere with that discussion or to pursue it, but thanks for the offer.
Again my apology.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:01 am 

Small update for those following my progress. I had a break Over Xmas but am back working on it again.
I've animated the DmD intros, jackpots and endings for the first two missions.
Added speech and sfx for the first two missions
Textured the ramps and added the little ramp guide plastics.

Still 3 missions left to do though and then the GI lighting and some general play tweaks. Getting there but slow progress as my 2d animation skills leave a bit to be desired. Was much easier on arcade mayhem when I could just record the video games from mame :)

Pod

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP