Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: JUNK YARD
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:28 am 

Thanks,
The ball swing diameter is contained by a quasi-circular guide
that can be further tweaked and the wrecking ball mass can be adjusted..

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:59 pm 

Real nice work!!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:50 pm 

Thanks Stephane !

https://youtu.be/vH_MAK7ONwE

Rav provided an update to my version that has enabled raising and lowering of the wrecking ball and a few other things:
Ravarcade wrote:
Magnet will pull ball. Force of magnet is 1/r^2... so, if ball is close to magnet when ball is pull with bigger force.

Your version:
When you activate magnet, ball is pulled up from playfield, fly to magnet, accelerate, ... pass it ... decelerate, when stops and fly back to magnet.
Because ball is in air, there is no damping, friction or anything usefull to stop ball near magnet.

Solution:
Put invisible surfece above playfield ("ball-fly-up-blocker") and make sure, that ball will be on one side of that surface and magnet is on other.
So, on my table surfect is 85 mm above playfield, magnet is 150 mm above playfield.

On this table i also changed physics params for that "ball-fly-up-blocker" surface with command:
xBAM.Physics.SetMaterial "ball-fly-up-blocker", 0.93, 1, 1000, 1000
It is very bouncy. For me, it looks better.
I don't see difference on last 2 params, so you may just remove that ", 1000, 1000".

Few notes.
On table i have found few "toys": bus, dog head and toilet.
All that objects are with complicated physics models ("per polygon collision" is enabled in FPM-editor).
You should know, that "eats" a lot of cpu time when ball is near that objects. I don't know if ball can be near "bus" or "toilet" but it looks, that it can be near "dog".
Checking ball collision with polygons is very expensive. Simple things like spheres, cylinders or boxes are very simple and quick to check for collisions.

My advice:
- if object can't be hit by ball, in FPM-editor remove physics sim model (uncheck "per polygon collision")
- if object can be hit, maybe you can replace physics sim model with something simply, like sphere or box, cylinder (or few of them).
All can be done very easy with FPM-Editor.

In my version of table, i replaced "bus" with single sphere
and "dog" with 2 spheres (one small, one big).
You may see used by physics engine models when you press "-" on numpad. I belive for "dog" that 2 spheres may be better physics model than polygons.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0smvbduexzc4a ... v.rar?dl=0

Press "B" on keyboard to raise and lower ball....

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 am 

Gimli & Ravarcade,
I just finished watching the video. Great teamwork on the "wrecking ball" looks very realistic. I knew my original version was way to primitive. Can the wrecking ball now create proper collisions with Targets (junk car models on the rack)?

I created the DMD font for all the "junk" and "shoot the dog" mini game (I think?) and put the corresponding legend in the script somewhere. If some graphic font element is missing, let me know and I will try to create it. Good luck to whoever is able to complete the DMD. I know Gimli said he didn't want to deal with creating fonts, and I don't blame him - they are a real pain in the ass to make.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:22 am 

Hi Rwl !
Great work on Junkyard !
try the table it's a drop box link that you can download..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0smvbduexzc4a ... v.rar?dl=0
Yes the ball handles collisions with targets. Use the manual ball roller to move the pendulum and I think it strikes most of the targets.

You can modify the strike areas of the ball and chain by tweaking the circular guide on the table editor.

As you may have gathered this is an optical illusion technique as follows:

1. Use BAM ball manager to create a huge invisible ball that will be constrained by the an elevated circular invisible guide

2. Normal sized balls will simply roll under the elevated guide and hit the larger invisible ball
3. Attach the Ball and Chain toy to the invisible ball using BAM miniplayfield and BAM Track Ball code ( This is an attached toy object and doesn't collide itself...just a facade)
4.Use Rav's pendulum code to simulate proper pendulum swing with a swing point above the table
5.Code the crane to move when a certain trigger is hit
6.Use BAM magnetic field to lift and lower ball
7.Rav used an elevated hidden collidable surface for the elevated ball to come in contact with...
Because it is a real ball ( invisible and large) that is being hit it therefore will generate hit events and
collide with the other balls naturally....

In terms of hitting targets on a elevated rack... you may have to do some tricky stuff as the invisible ball never elevates...but because it is a large ball...I believe its strike point will be higher than the normal game ball. So you could have some slightly elevated targets that only the pendulum hits ( but have the rack graphics where you want, again an illusion...)
You could create many Bam magnets to lift ball at various points but that likely is a little complicated (but doable) but I don't think necessary.

Fyi
I put all my stuff at the end of the script and Rav added a few lines for BAM at the start.

Note the following:
Code:
CreateCustomBall ( Source, BallName, Radius, Mass, Opacity )

This code will specify the above 5 custom ball options...so

Code:
call CreateCustomBall(kicker7,ChainBall, 27.0, 5, 0):Kicker7.SolenoidPulse()

The above line specifies:
1.kicker7 is location
2.ChainBall is the name I gave it
3.the Radius is 27
4.the Mass is 5 (increase this number if you want the pendulum harder to swing)
5.the Opacity is 0 (the ball is invisible , to see the giant ball change this value to any number less than 1 . For example 0.8)

Also if look under Sub FuturePinball_KeyPressed(ByVal KeyCode)
you will see the code to raise and lower ball.
You can use this anywhere in the script that is needed

Code:
If (KeyCode = 48) Then
      If MagneticField_0.Z <> CRANE_MAGNET_Z Then
         AddDebugText "[on]"
         ' Move up
         MagneticField_0.Z = CRANE_MAGNET_Z
         MagneticField_0.Strength = 10
         '                              DstX     DstY     DstZ     RotX     RotY     RotZ    Scale     Time
   Call MiniPlayField_1.MoveTo(  671.2,   499.2,    51.4,     2.6,     0.2,       0,       1,     0.2)
      Else
         AddDebugText "[off]"
         ' Move down
         MagneticField_0.Z = 0
         MagneticField_0.Strength = 1
         Call MiniPlayField_1.MoveTo(  670.6,     509,  75.801,     6.8,     0.2,       0,       1,     0.2)
      End If
   End If

Cheers

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:57 pm 

RwL wrote:
I created the DMD font for all the "junk" and "shoot the dog" mini game (I think?) and put the corresponding legend in the script somewhere. If some graphic font element is missing, let me know and I will try to create it. Good luck to whoever is able to complete the DMD. I know Gimli said he didn't want to deal with creating fonts, and I don't blame him - they are a real pain in the ass to make.

I notice you are using Font images and imagelist manaager for DMD's

I think it is less work to extract them as DMDf's (DMD fonts).
Gin can likley help you in this regard.

If you require a DMDf template to use for coding....I am currently using the one in Indiana Jones. But have also used the Monster Bash and Shootanza one.

So I maybe could come up with something (probably like IJ as that is the one am currently familiar with)....

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:37 pm 

https://youtu.be/SssNnp91k4I

I tested the wrecking ball collisions using Debug and manual ball roller and it seems to be able to hit
Cars 1-6 and "Target 13 and 14"

Cheers

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:07 am 

Gimli,
Finally had a chance to download table. Right way got mediation error 2628 (object required: MagneticField.0)
Do I need the latest version of BAM to resolve this? Also noticed "crane toy" off the table - layer 4 on left.

From what I can tell from the video, crane arm & Ball chain are all working quite nicely. Great work on this, you are the best!!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:31 am 

Hi RWL,
Should work with any BAM version from the past year or so, but best to go with Current version.

Both the crane toy and the ball and chain toy I placed off the table (The Ball and chain is actually in upper
left corner of table).

I then grabbed both as "miniplayfields"

I then used BAM miniplayfield code to move crane into place and animate it
and I used miniplayfield code to grab Ball and chain so I could attach it to the invisible ball and once attached to adjust the position of the toy as needed.

I can demonstrate this process in a video if you wish. See below
See my tutorial here:
viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=55&t=6587&p=85768#p85768

Theoretically you can have leave toys on the table and grab them and animate from there
but it doesn't always work that well, so I did it that way...

If you have problems installing and running BAM let us know (remember to run from FPloader.exe in the BAM folder and not Future Pinball.exe in Future Pinball Folder...)

Last edited by Gimli on Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:18 pm 

Here is a demo showing how it all works
https://youtu.be/5fkCgHX8Muw

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP