Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables Release

Post subject: Re: Dragon's Keep (Maxis) Mod
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:21 pm 

...But then if they use an old version with the fail safe, they'll complain about the magnet or the room not working...

If we add the fail safe, I suppose we need to add the version number of when the feature was added to BAM FUNCTIONS-COMMANDS.

On this table, I suppose the room is not essential but I don't think I would like playing it without the magnet. Why don't we post warnings in the description about using the current version of BAM? Of course, I know there are people that won't read it.

George

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 pm 

Gimli wrote:
The magnet that GF used is a BAM feature , starting with version 154 of BAM.
Therefore any version prior to 154 or FP alone will crash because they will not recognize the
xBAM.MagneticField code

We can not go on like this! I believe that people who should advertise the new Bam are using old versions. So they do not push to use New Bam for everyone. Each one is safeguarding their own little garden.
The new release of Bam (196) would have to solve all the old problems and give BAM to ALL (I say ALL) the owners of Future Pinball.
Dear RAFAL, after years of working on the development of Bam, how many tables have been made with Bam? 2,3,4? (I do not consider the MODs).

I had reopened this tread (which was turned off years ago) because I believe in the potential of Bam.
Greetings to all and sorry for the outburst

Gianfranco

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:46 pm 

You are right GF not many tables require BAM yet
1.Krull
2 Dragons keep
3.TOTAN
4.Indiana Jones

So far there are I think
Perhaps 10 features that the failsafe code is useful for for
1. XBAM.customball
2 xBAM.miniplayfield
3.xBAM.magnetic field
4.xBAM.gravity
5.xBAM.GameRoom
6.not 'xBAM.FixScore
7.xBAM.CustomModels ?
8.xBAM.flippersettings ? Blindpeser uses I think?
9.xBAM.SetTexture
10.xBam.closeto

Some of these features enhance the gameplay only. Perhaps
2 and 3 are the only crucial ones...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:14 pm 

I think Rav have not to release each time a new release (from 154 to 194, how many?).
How many releases "just" for Krull?
And how many for the future Ness?
Do you think the just download tables guys update each time BAM? No.
For me, Rav have to release test BAM for the developpers and when all is fine (so, after some releases) just release a "real" release. I think than 3-4 releases by year will be good.
I alway have a look to BAM development, but as I didn't script with BAM, just have a quick look. As in the future, I'll launch 2 tables working only with BAM (Super Soccer and Jubille, OK I have a normal FP table for Jubilee), I had to have a big crawl into a hudge number of posts. So, normal guys... 156, 158, 162, 174, ..., 196. They don't care because they don't read the BAM corner, just the release corner. How many guys read the BAM corner? About 10, 20 max.
For me, an eventual best thing will be a test with a splash screen style "You are using the xxx release of BAM but the last release is yyy" or something like that.

Le prix s'oublie, la qualité reste

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:49 pm 

Gimli wrote:
....Some of these features enhance the gameplay only. Perhaps
2 and 3 are the only crucial ones......

in fact, those that really count are few!!
Development should continue towards:
1- lighting, I do not mean what we can do now (and that I do not know well) but the one that can bring us closer to the lighting of VP10 (VPX) that I find very beautiful. Our lights are terrible. We have to move the Holo out of the light because it's too strong. Our Flasher are ugly. In VP if a light is close to a wall, it illuminates wall.
2- physical. We will have to complete the work that Monnezza had started. That is a medium physics (not too personalized) to be used as a template. Maybe two tamplates, one for the old EM and one for the modern tables.

Perhaps the direction of development should be decided by everyone and not just by someone on a personal level ....... :mrgreen:

Greetings to all

Gianfranco

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:41 am 

I was really hoping that BAM physics tweaks would lure Monnezzas out of retirement.

SLAMT1LT claimed to have solved FP physics but is yet to show anyone how, so he may just be "grandstanding"

I don't understand how Rav does it but he is able to "hook" FP features and assign them new values that we can play with through either code or BAM's menu system.

So having light object tweaks may be possible?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:02 pm 

Gimli wrote:
SLAMT1LT claimed to have solved FP physics but is yet to show anyone how, so he may just be "grandstanding"

Slam said he solved it but then when he stopped posting tables he said he made a breakthrough but never posted the physics.

George

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:30 am 

Hello,

We can also advertise BAM on PinSimDB (on the main page) and put the minimum BAM version on each table (+ some "BAM only" tags for example).

Concerning SLAM, the youtube videos he published latelly are not really encouraging. Yes, it looks like the aiming is good, but the ball behaves very strangely.

How to add your table or fill missing information : viewtopic.php?f=72&p=34257#p34257

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:39 pm 

TheNalex wrote:
Hello,

We can also advertise BAM on PinSimDB (on the main page) and put the minimum BAM version on each table (+ some "BAM only" tags for example)....

It needs to be clear that the table will either crash or produce a meditation error if they don't use the correct version of BAM. I think earlier tables that use different versions of physics have conditioned users to think they can use FP without BAM and just ignore the XML file.

George

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables Release