Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables Release

Post subject: Creature from the Black Lagoon 1.3 (Revised Version)
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:46 pm 

I have a tendency to be wordy. So the short version of the new features are 1) new sound of better quality, 2) a sound mixing control panel in the script, 3) fixes of bugs in the script by Popotte, 4) added a full virtual room 5) custom physics, 6) fixes of several stuck balls, 7) added a segmented display on the HUD, 8) created a rule sheet with annotations on screenshots.

When I first played "The Creature from the Black Lagoon", I fell in love with it. Unfortunately, as time went on I began to notice how poor the sound quality was and eventually I stopped playing it. Then Blindpeser found some sound files of better quality. We decided to recreate the original sounds so Blindpeser matched many of the new sounds to the old ones. He then passed the files on to me and so I mixed them and found the files he had missed. I created a mono library that replaced the original. Then I found a free VST plug-in that creates simulated stereo sound. I decided to include both stereo and mono versions in the download. My understanding is that the simulated stereo does not mix down very well to a single speaker so you will want to use the mono on laptops and other PCs with a single speaker. Otherwise, I think most folks will prefer the stereo. It is what I use. After finishing the sound libraries, I decided I needed to be able to reduce the sound level of the game sounds, such as the flippers, bumpers etc. Future Pinball has the ability to add sounds to individual table elements. Unfortunately, these don't allow level control. So I moved all of them to the script and created a sound level control panel. It allows you to adjust the level of music, sound effects, voices and game sounds separately. Directions on how to use it are in the Notes & Rules guide.

At this point, I had spent a great deal of time working on this table and then I found a serious bug in the script. During 2 ball multiball, one of the balls would frequently get lost and so the game would come to a screeching halt after the other ball from multiball drained. After I felt I had wasted my time working on this table, Popotte saved the day with a fix to the script. He later fixed a meditation error that occurred during video mode and he also fixed the balls per game so the end user can change the number of balls per game easily. Finally, he managed to reduce the total number of lines in the script by half which he said would make it easier for others to change the script. He also helped me figure out why the night version didn't work. Thank You so much Popotte for upgrading this script! You should know that all the previous versions of the script on this table are nearly identical. The only differences between the different versions in the script are very minor additions to make the new version function.

Since Ravarcade made BAM compatible with Virtual Reality headsets, guys have been creating tables with virtual rooms so I decided to create one for this table. I wasn't completely satisfied with the room models available to date so I consulted with Tomasaco who created new room models for this table. I managed to create a complete room for this table. The room adds about 3 megabytes to the size of the file so I created a stripped down version of the room for those that have low end PCs.

Of course, I did a few other things for this table also. I created custom physics for it. Blindpeser likes Zed flippers so I kept those. I also fixed a number of stuck balls. The ball would often get stuck on the gate at the end of the launch lane. It would also get stuck at the entrance to the back orbit. Miownkhan found the ball would fall off the left ramp so he added a wall which I changed later. Miownkhan also added some script to add the ability to toggle the Heads Up Display (HUD) on and off. He also fixed it so the end user can change the default so the table loads with the HUD turned off if desired. I also added a new loading screen and a new graphics for the HUD. After playing the table a lot, I noticed the lights on the backboard lit the letters to the word CREATURE when the ball circles the Whirlpool. I thought that this was a bit of an unfair advantage for the guys that have pinball cabinets because the guys who play on desktops can't see the backboard. So I created a segmented display on the HUD that also spells CREATURE. I added a second segmented display that also displays the playfield multiplier that shows how many times CREATURE has been spelled.

There are three basic versions of this table as follows:

Day and Night Versions
Full VR room and partial room Version
Custom Physics and Physics 1.0

You should note that the posting includes two downloads. One download has the Day versions and the other download has the night versions.

Finally, I spent quite a bit of time creating a rule sheet that is based on Bally's rule sheet and is included in the download. The document starts with notes on several easy changes the end user can make to the script. The rule sheet has the objects of the table identified on an annotated screen shot. I also inserted cut outs of the screen shot into different sections of the text to help identify the area of the table being discussed.

If anyone wants the car mod version that Francisco666 included in the original, please post requests.

The table is available now to be downloaded at:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-2 ... ack_lagoon

Thanks,

GeorgeH

Last edited by GeorgeH on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Creature from the Black Lagoon 1.3 (Revised Version)
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:09 pm 

Hey George,
I hope you get some love for your work, this took forever but I think the result is worth all the work you put into it. Thanks to all the magicans that helped you to achieve your goal. My part in this project just was really small.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:42 am 

Very nice this is an excellent table.
Thanks to the team which is returned to life.
Physics is cool
Maybe I changed(table slope 8.0 and balls mass)It is a matter of taste
Greeting the team and I hope you will Terry to do DOF support ;)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:18 am 

Hey George, what a nice surprise. Thanks a lot for this new version and all the work. The table plays better than ever, great physics... Thank you! :-)

Best regards

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:23 am 

Thanks guys for your comments! I felt like this is a good version but you never really know what others think until they provide comment.

George

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:37 am 

I had this table in my cabinet and remove it because its bad sound and its bad physics
Thanks GeorgeH, now I can put this table back in my cabinet.
Really nice work !!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:42 pm 

Lighthouse wrote:
I had this table in my cabinet and remove it because its bad sound and its bad physics
Thanks GeorgeH, now I can put this table back in my cabinet.
Really nice work !!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

I thought the original Physics 1.0 wasn't terrible. In fact, I recreated Francisco's original physics in the 1.0 version. Of course, I prefer the custom physics version I created. I recreated the 1.0 version because there used to be a number of non-BAM users. I'm not sure if there are many non-BAM users left. Are there any non-BAM users out there (other than 20degree)?

George

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:12 am 

Hey George, is the little jump of the ball (@ the crossover to the left flipper) a deliberate feature or a little bug (I know an invisible wall would fix this)?

Best regards

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:21 am 

Skyrider wrote:
Hey George, is the little jump of the ball (@ the crossover to the left flipper) a deliberate feature or a little bug (I know an invisible wall would fix this)?

Best regards

Actually I already added a short invisible wall between the divider between the inlanes/outlanes and the flippers. I added the invisible wall because the ball would get stuck there occasionally. The one on the left flipper has a small problem because the the divider between the inlane and outlanes is not aligned perfectly with the flipper. It seemed to play OK when I tested it but it does appear a bit off. You might want to move the divider a bit. You could move the flipper but it might mess up the set up of the angle on the flipper.

I will look at this if I create an update. If you decide to play with this, you might let me know what works best.

George

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:49 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
Actually I already added a short invisible wall between the divider between the inlanes/outlanes and the flippers. I added the invisible wall because the ball would get stuck there occasionally. The one on the left flipper has a small problem because the the divider between the inlane and outlanes is not aligned perfectly with the flipper. It seemed to play OK when I tested it but it does appear a bit off. You might want to move the divider a bit. You could move the flipper but it might mess up the set up of the angle on the flipper.

I will look at this if I create an update. If you decide to play with this, you might let me know what works best.

George

Please try the following coordinates for the invisible wall.

X=141,7292
Y=893,8438

and

X=156,1042
Y=902,0938

With this settings it works fine in my opinion... :-)

Best regards

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables Release