Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Welcome to GoPinball » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Join the squad.
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:37 pm 

TheNalex wrote:
Yes, it's a great tool but my main concern is always the same. This will rely on another proprietary, not open software :(

isn't that exactly what FP is at the moment? proprietary, not open software?

Personally, doesn't bug me in the slightest. if it's something that works, is far better and more flexible than FP, then I am in with both feet. Who cares about VPinMAME, and why limit yourself when you could do better if you tried hard enough?

If I wanted to do MM, I could, just change it a bit, and have things like real exploding castles, real trolls, a fully animated dragon and all sorts of other things as well, and be far easier and more powerful than FP on it's best day.

I've seen a lot of examples, from all types of games, to a working model of the solar system, to a keyboard music system, complete with beat box with Spark. There are questions to be answered, but the ability to work with all the modern tools for a computer pinball game design (like Pinball FX) and then having the ability to share them with millions of people is a good thing even for this community.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:32 pm 

I second that.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 am 

Hey, yes, FP is proprietary and that is the problem - I haven't said it clearly (on my phone when I replied) but going from a prioprietary solution to another is not good solution.
The "open" sourced solution is the only one. And C/C++ is not an option, IT IS required / mandatory if we want the software to last! (C# and other exotic languages are not multi plateform - don't say "mono" or I can bite).

LvR started something (well more than started) but he has lost interest right now. Maybe somedays ;)

How to add your table or fill missing information : viewtopic.php?f=72&p=34257#p34257

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:32 pm 

I've just read this thread, and must admit is a lil' bit discouraging, just when Im getting my hands on FP; but I totally get it. I just wish I had found about FP before.
PinballArcade sounds great, but I've always loved the creative, editing side of the games, too; and sometimes even more.
Project Spark looks neat! but I must second TheNalex's comment. Nevertheless, if gathering a team to build and FP table is hard, I can't imagine what would be to gather a team to code a whole new sim/editor pinball game. I mean, we also have had UnrealEngine and Unity for years, for free, and nothing related has come out of them.

Anyway, Im starting to script some Classes to help building tables, and to make scripts a little bit easier to read. I know it's been done, and been told, on another forum, it is futile, and not the best way to start, but, as a programmer, it is where I feel more comfortable; so I hope I'll be sharing them soon.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:50 am 

If you want. In the resource section, there are some script available ;)

How to add your table or fill missing information : viewtopic.php?f=72&p=34257#p34257

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:42 am 

shocksop wrote:
I mean, we also have had UnrealEngine and Unity for years, for free, and nothing related has come out of them.

check this thread out. viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1678

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:22 am 

TheNalex wrote:
If you want. In the resource section, there are some script available

Thanks! Yes, I spent the last few days reading over there!

Hyperion wrote:
check this thread out. viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1678

I'll be damned! I take my words back!...
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I still have a lot to read!
Now I'm even more excited!
Hallelujah for C#!... I guess programming in VB will be just anecdotic, thank god.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:10 am 

i want to do a rocky horror pinball but i dont think im capable but glad to help with testing

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:50 am 

FP community does not have enough people, that's the problem. Otherwise there would be simply more activity and the more people the better for developing new stuff.

To attract more people, it has to become more beginner-friendly, table downloads are especially messy with xml missing, half of the settings wrong to play, etc etc. This has to be addressed or nothing will change.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:16 pm 

gibsmedat wrote:
FP community does not have enough people, that's the problem. Otherwise there would be simply more activity and the more people the better for developing new stuff.

I joined VP in 2003, help some guys (2004-2005) to script tables and at lest try to make a VP table (Ship Mates to be exact) but I give up. Fortunatelly, FP was released in the same time (october 2005). But it's an other story. What is the VP's story? During 2005? Near dead. No more development (just a patch due to XP's SP2: Gloria Alleluia Sandy!!! (just before: damned Sandy, he just does nothing (the same guys, as usual)). Chris (Black) have made development for VP during this period (lights management, high score routine, queue text for alpha numeric display: all this features are with FP) but as VP was not progressing, he just left and switch on FP. I really tought VP was dead. And, indead, it was not really dead but in a deep coma. And the miracle happened. Sandy (and Nanotech (VP9.0 to VP.0.8), but it's again an other story) released the code and as the phoenix, VP is now very active. You don't know the number of great creators who left VP during his long slow death.
For me, and just for me, the solution is that Chris releases the code. The main adaptation is not more beautifull lights, 3D, ... but the physic.

Quote:
To attract more people, it has to become more beginner-friendly, table downloads are especially messy with xml missing, half of the settings wrong to play, etc etc. This has to be addressed or nothing will change.

First, xml is missing just because the majority of the tables was released before we can use xml...
Second, people can add a xml (the right one, on create a new one, or ...). If they are lazy, it's not my problem. With a little search, you can find a generic xml for EM, SS or DMD tables (not perfect, but you can adjust the parameters).

Le prix s'oublie, la qualité reste

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Welcome to GoPinball » General Discussion