Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Welcome to GoPinball » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: PinKadia! The Ultimate virtual Pinball / Arcade / PC cab
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:34 pm 

If you don't mind answering, I'm curious how much you have spent on the whole cabinet and the PC that drives it.

George

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:34 am 

Not including the electronics (TVs, CPU, etc), I'm guessing around $800-900 Canadian.

The solenoids and addressable led lighting, LED-WIZ, all the other lighting and feedback stuff, etc was probably around $500, which I am still waiting for.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:38 am 

I'm guessing I could buy a ready made machine for another couple of thousand. I'm not sure how much I would really use it though.

George

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:13 pm 

I always try to find new ways to make use of the "4th display" area on my middle screen.

For MAME, I knew there were some cool programs out there that would let you see your control panel layout and other info for each game, either by pausing, etc..

I just wanted a way to show what the controls were for each game in MAME since there are so many different layouts. When someone else is using the cabinet, it would be nice not having to explain to them the controls for each game....but when I found CP-Wizard, I found exactly what I had wanted.

I am basically trying to setup as standard control panel layout for each control type for each game in CP-Wizard. I just made a background pic the size of my middle screen with the MAME logo at the bottom. Then I made the layouts I wanted and saved them as separate layouts. Then I had CP-Wizard configured to use whatever layout for each control scheme as required.

I didn't need to have CP Wizard running in the background. I just had CP-Wizard do an Export-batch, creating control panel images for each game automatically with the correct naming of the files. These pics work with Pinball X as my DMD screen images for MAME. They display while browsing through each game and stay displayed while playing. Simple and easy to see to see while playing at any time. I may just use this for PC Games and other emulators too.

Here's some pics of my current layout. Its simple, and probably not final, but works quite well.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:52 pm 

Here's a video showing the new control panel, as well as an update to what parts I have so far for controlled LED lighting and feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlIB3eIPCRg

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:35 pm 

I just read your previous posting. It looks like you figured out a way to display video games on the lower monitor instead of the backboard as you had been using. I take it that CP-Wizard allows you to add a static image to the top and bottom of the screen so that the aspect ratio works for video games.

George

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:04 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
I just read your previous posting. It looks like you figured out a way to display video games on the lower monitor instead of the backboard as you had been using. I take it that CP-Wizard allows you to add a static image to the top and bottom of the screen so that the aspect ratio works for video games.

George

I still play my normal 16x9 widescreen PC games on the backglass screen, as they still fit best on that screen.

"Vertical / Portrait" PC & Windows Store Games I play on the playfield screen as they fit perfectly (and look awesome) on that screen. I will have a video up soon to show that off.

The "Marquees" on the backglass screen and the "controls" images on the middle screen were created (mostly) as stand-alone images by CP-Wizard. Pinball X then will show these images while browsing AND while playing the game. (no need for CP-Wizard to be running)

CP-Wizard was originally intended to be running in the background while using MAME. Then you could pause your MAME game and have CP-Wizard show controls and other things. I had no need for this as I have extra screen space.

As for MAME games... they can have a bezel added by RocketLauncher to fill in the space above and below the game to make it look a little nicer. This can be done for some other emulators too, but not for typical PC Games.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:25 pm 

PC Vertical / Portrait Games

There are some PC games out there that actually do support a vertical / portrait layout.

Some are basically arcade ports and some are original. they are either Steam games or normal PC Games such as:

-Crimson Clover
-Ikaruga
-Mushihimesama
-Raiden III
-Raiden IV Overkill
-Ice Cold Beer
-Zeke's Peak

Ice Cold Beer / Zeke's Peak required me using Pinnacle Game Profiler for my P1 joystick and XPadder for my P2 Joystick... but it works perfect together. the others just worked normally and gave you rotate options for your screen.

Then there are the Windows 10 Store Games. These are originally tablet / phone type games that work with keyboard / mouse or gamepad controls. I basically had my P2 joystick and buttons act like a mouse for these games in case it was needed.

Since these don't have a normal .EXE file to reference, in order to get these to run with Pinnacle Game Profiler for mapped controls.... I had to run this command:

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

Then create a shorcut for the games from the window that opens.
Create a .BAT file that "Starts" the Pinnacle Game Profile (persistent) manually for your game via command line... then it opens the *.lnk shorcut you created for your game.
Use this .BAT file with Rocketlauncher via Pinball X (I open all my PC games with Pinball X using RocketLauncher)
Have your "Launch After" run another .BAT file that "Stops" your Pinnacle Game Profiler manually.

These games look and play great when setup correctly. Games such as:

Crossy Road
Despicable Me
Sonic Dash

Like MAME, I added control panel pics in the middle screen where possible.

Here's a video showing some of these games in action in Pinball X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7O9pkkhrso

Since I have arcade sticks and many buttons, its not a problem for me to get alot of these games to run. I know I can also run Android games through Blue Stacks and other programs (I have done so on my normal PC), but that may come at a later time.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:18 am 

So I've been making great progress so far.... got all my parts except for beacons. One of my solenoids is broken, so it's 9 only for now. (I don't know when a shaker or gear motor will happen.)

Even got it all working in the cab with a mock-up via DOF which is working great. Most of the wiring is good to go. I even setup a kill switch for the 12v going to the sainsmart relay board and anything mechanical for a "night mode", while still allowing for 12v for anything else light related.

Here's the board before it's put into the cabinet. It may not be the prettiest, but it allows me access to everything while having all outputs of the led-wiz fused, and having the led / strobe output closer to where they will be to accommodate the limited rgb wiring I have. The Teensy for addressable leds will be on my PC board. I'll still have plenty of room for future stuff, even if I need to stack boards.

Here's my mockup with everything except for solenoids connected (no beacons, and a small test fan in the pic)....but I can still see the relays working to confirm they will work. I have the left and outer-left flashers in my left speaker hole, and the right flashers in the right speaker hole, and the center on the led strip for now.

I also have my FIRE button working on the arcade control panel, and I have it combined with the launch button in DOF, since you need to use the launch button to "FIRE" in VP anyways.

DOF is pretty damn impressive! Some amazing work done by swisslizard and arngrim!

Since I don't have 10 solenoids, I can just combine the rear center and the middle center for now. It also frees up an LED-Wiz port.

I also have an atwood 3000 blower fan. Man it works great, but sure is loud! Very cool the way different tables make use of it. The noise is going to be better when used with a hose.... which gets me wondering on where to mount it!

I'm definitely considering mounting it inside (like randr did), as it fits perfectly in that spot before my coin door. (I removed my coin door mech as I don't use it and I have only one coin slot) I was going to have it blow out through the coin eject hole with some kind of upward scoop. Or maybe I might still mount it on top of the cabinet....or behind the cabinet blowing up through a hose / vent at the top of the cabinet with a finished topper...

I also would like a simple way to adjust the voltage going to the fan...12V is pretty loud...5V is too slow...so maybe just a simple way to get in between with some kind of pot / switch. I don't have an H-bridge or anything else that would allow me to use PWM right now....maybe if I get a shaker down the line.

Any suggestions would be great..

Also....we just found out that we have bed bugs in the house.....AAAAAAAH! We think my son brought them back from his grade 8 school graduation trip! So now my progress is slowed down considerably, cause we have to purge the house and live in hell for a month or so (and its going to cost alot)

....and it was going so well too!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:23 pm 

So now I finally have the solenoids all working. Unfortunately 1 of them was broken in shipping, so I had to settle for 9 instead of 10. Luckily DOF lets you easily combine cabinet toy functions through software, so I just combined middle center and rear center.

I decided to mount them on cross pieces since I was running out of room on the sides of the cabinet. This also allowed me to position them closer to where they would typically be in a real pinball cabinet. I also didn't like the very loud "metal smacking wood" sound the solenoids give when fully engaging (they would also sometimes get stuck open for 2 seconds). So I used some "plexiglass / plastic" L-bracket looking pieces I had lying around for the solenoids to strike. This kept them from getting stuck and it sounded much better. I also used cable clamps for the slingshot solenoids which works really well to replicate that type of sound.

Sadly, I ran out of terminal strips, so I settled on using solder and electrical tape for the diodes connected to each solenoid. (to snuff out any EMI that could damage the Sainsmart relay board) That's why my wiring looks so wierd for some of this....and the lack of sleep from cleaning my house for 4 days straight didn't help either.

Here's a quick video showing them working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tObqmu4ETH4

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Board index » Welcome to GoPinball » General Discussion