Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Welcome to GoPinball » General Discussion

Post subject: New guy with some questions
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:30 am 

Hello everyone. Been doing a lot of reading, watching videos and such in preparation to build my own pinball cab. I cannot believe what this pinball emulators is capable of! Incredible. I have a few questions that I couldn't find an answer to so I thought maybe someone here could help shine a light on.

In reading different sites, I see a few complaints about the physics in FP. Personally I have seen a few strange ball movements, but not much. Although I haven't played a ton yet and only have a dozen or so tables. So my question is since the development of FP seems to be dead, can the physics improve from the tables themselves or does this have to be done in the main engine of FP. I really have no clue, I'm not a programmer by any means. Actually, I'm a sales rep and don't know a whole lot about computers. I did manage to build a MAME cab though about 2 years ago and get that up and running with several different emulators on it. This is where I am currently playing my FP tables.

2nd question is more of a preference I guess, just looking for some feedback. I was considering only using 2 screens for my cab instead of 3. Using two 42" screens with BOTH mounted vertically. So some of my backglass screen would be hidden under the playfield but it would give me the height to display the backglass and DMD. Anyone have any thoughts on how this would look? I see on real pins that the backglass is wider than the playfield and with my plan, it wouldn't be this way. I haven't found any pics or videos of anyone who has done this before so maybe there's a reason? My reasoning for wanting to do this is I currently have a PC that I could use in my pinball cab with only 1 GPU. For the extra cost of an additional vid card and larger power supply I could pick up a cheap 42" LCD for my backglass & DMD for about the same price. Does this make sense at all? Thanks for any replies and I am happy to have found this forum! Cheers!

Post subject: Re: New guy with some questions
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:57 am 

answer to your 1st question - the physics cannot be tweaked within the program (without hexediting the executable which is looked down upon so we won't go into any detail or discussion about the how).

You can however find a newly tweaked physics version on vpuniverse.com It comes about as close as you can to the best physics possible with FP. Just extract that version into the same folder as your installed Future Pinball.

For your 2nd question - have a look at my youtube channel. You will see a TON of videos that I have posted from my cabinet (using a 32" vertical for playfield and a 24" vertical for backglass which has both a translite and dmd area on the same screen). I am however working on rotating the backglass back horizontally AND getting an actual DMD with the recent developments of Macro's DLL but my current setup works just fine as well.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:56 am 

Thank you for the info. Is the physics 2.5 add on backward compatible with 2.4? A few of my tables say optimized for physics 2.4. I don't have any that say 2.5. So will the 2.5 add on work or should I look for an older 2.4 version until more 2.5 tables are available?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:30 pm 

All versions of FP are "compatible" in the sense that they will run any table. It's just that tables for a certain version were made with those physics in mind. So for example if you run a 2.4 table using FP 2.5, it will still be playable, but you may notice a more realistic feel on FP 2.4, since that's what version it was made for.

A lot of 2.4 tables run just fine with FP 2.5 with little to no tweaks necessary. Just depends on how you like the play to feel.

Board index » Welcome to GoPinball » General Discussion